Munster Rugby - We DID start the fire (Part 1)

He wasn’t good at being a guard so he became a barman

I am Well mistaken the auld lad and uncles said they were taught by a few of that great team and I put 2 and 2 together and got 5. Paudi probably taught me

1 Like

Fuck me. A bullshitter on d’internet. I thought I was the only one.

1 Like

An honest man. He made a mistake (a minor one), held his hand up straight away and admitted it. Doesn’t happen too often around here.

1 Like

In my mind there were two All Ireland winners teaching in CBS. Willie Moore (Limerick 1973) and Pat Fluery( Offaly 1985). Eamonn Dillion won a club AllIreland wotj Thomond College in football. There was none of the Kerry team of the 70’s or 80’s there.

1 Like

A few more around here could learn a lesdon or two from him.

Do you know of that museum Paul o connell and pj are build will have a big Limerick rugby section? Be a shame not to include Johnny brennans collection

1 Like

Esso oil is the man to ask there.

Cc @Esso_Oil

Sorry I dont know whats going to be in it.

True all of this. The AIL wasn’t sustainable though really. It nearly bankrupt clubs. They were trying to compete on a semi-professional level that was neither one thing nor the other. The average club, to be competitive, just couldn’t afford to look after players, pay match travel etc. It wasn’t helped by being geographically so diverse, necessitating overnight stays on many occasions. There were too many clubs trying to run at too expensive a level. It was unsustainable as it was. Whether it could have survived on a GAA type model with central funding, I doubt, as at the highest level, the players need to be paid high wages in order to keep the national team (and cash cow) producing milk. The clubs wouldn’t to my mind have drawn enough at the gate on a regular basis to supplement and support the national game.
The GAA will have exactly the same problem if it ever tries to turn professional.
It is hard to see anything other than the provincial system actually working, but, and it’s a big but, there was no need to ignore the grassroots to the degree the irfu seems to have. None at all.
The decline of club rugby is multifactorial, but it got caught in the professional crossfire, and shredded.

1 Like

That was a great rubby chat last night.

1 Like

Clubs didn’t see the TV and sponsorship money the provinces did… They could have restructured the club game… The provincial system locks talent out and has reduced the pool to a limited few. The drop off from provinces to club standered is too big now. Clubs should be feeding provinces but unless players are in the academies they are nearly done for. For shame.

They could and should but the clubs fought a proper restructure of the club game tooth and nail… And still are

1 Like

Build it and they will come.

Garryowen’s Ben Healy, representing the franchise who shan’t be named, has abandoned the mullet sadly.

Completely different club but I have a memory of Felipe Contepomi playing a match for Carlow in the AIL in early 2004. Was on RTE sports news at the time. Must have been required to play a couple of games for a club before signing for Leinster.

Correct. Leinster messed up Contepomi’s registration so he couldn’t play for them for a few months after he arrived. He lined out for County Carlow a few times during that period.

3 Likes

Rumours floating around about the shannon set up :eyes::eyes:

Nasty post