Munster Rugby - We DID start the fire (Part 1)

Munster Senior Cup
The winners of each of the provinces went no further.
Well they did for a period. The Bateman cup. Ypu may have heard of it. Young Munsters won it and made a song out of it.

1 Like

I played with a junior club in cark against the saints down pa healy field. The carkies were shocked at the amount of sulkys riding up and down the road in the warm up. I had a good laugh using the Limerick scumbag taunts thrown at me for years. One of the Mary’s lads lost it and said who are you to say Limerick scumbag I replied in the thickest Limerick accent sure I’m from x part of Limerick kid. Round of laughter from the guys who knew

1 Like

Munster senior league and the Cup was the big deal. Limerick and cork charity cups were hard fought. Junior cup for j1 teams and senior seconds

1 Like

Was discontinued around wwii no officially all ireland until 91

I went to what must have been a munster senior Cup final in thomond Park at some stage in the early 90s. Shannon v Young Munsters, place was wedged. The father put me over the wall to sit on the pitch. Seemed to be a huge occasion.

The only one that counts was the one Munsters beat the 14 internationals that Landsdowne fielded against them.

1 Like

Was Brian Purcell still playing with them then?

Gaelic football legend Paudi o se played for the cookies when he was teaching in Sexton street

IMG_20190909_141620

1 Like

Shannon won 7 in a row beating monsters in every one

1 Like

St Marys Brass and Reed with the parade.
Dodo Reddan with the dogs in the pram
No fuckin mention of Fields in Athenry!

4 Likes

So cheer boys cheer for your own 15

Nah they have been reduced to a bunch of young fellas. Dave Hogan was the one one over 25 I reckon

1 Like

He did. Also Leonard Enright played in the centre for Munsters for a season. As one old boy said to me a grand lad but couldnt spot a gap in a hedge.
Edit
Was he not a guard?? not a teacher???

paidi a teacher??!

2 Likes

Great to see some real rubby chatter on the site.

1 Like

Could be wrong thought he was a teacher. A good few of that kerry team taught in cbs

I’d love to have seen Paidi teach :rofl:

I believe I have made a terrible mistake on the Internet. I’m too young to remember or know these guys outside the classic games on the telly and auld lads talking shite into the bottom of a pint of stout

4 Likes

The only Kerry lad that kicked a football that taught in CBS wad Eamonn Dillon. I doubt if Sammy Sayers ever kicked a football. He certainly hardly ever ran after one.

He wasn’t good at school.
So he became a guard.