Munster Senior Hurling Championship 2018

I do think weā€™re far better placed this year to win at least a couple of games compared to the last three years if the same format was in place or in general really.

At the moment, Iā€™m happy out weā€™re up to 1Bā€¦championship is nothing to fear with the group we have.

Hard ground will suit them immeasurably compared to the shit they were playing on during the league for starters.

True, but on the hard ground, their weak full-back line will be even more exposed.

I canā€™t recall their team that day off the top of my head but I had the impression they had a few more to come back in. Also, I really wouldnā€™t expect us to outscore Clare by 4 goals to nil again. If we beat tipp first day we will be flying it, but tipp will see what, four or five changes from that match?

We wonā€™t win all four of our games

Clare: D Tuohy; P Oā€™Connor, C Cleary, J Browne; S Morey, D McInerney, D Fitzgerald (0-1); C Galvin (0-1), T Kelly (0-6); C Malone, J Conlon (0-2), D Reidy (0-2); C McGrath (0-1), P Duggan (0-19, 15f, 2 ā€˜65), S Oā€™Donnell (0-1).

Subs: I Galvin for C Galvin (51), C McInerney for McGrath (57), J McCarthy for Reidy (63), M Oā€™Neill for McInerney (70), R Taylor for Ian Galvin (89), M Oā€™Malley for Kelly (95), N Deasy for Collins (98)

That looks first-choice to me; Cian Dillon the only player to come back. Maybe theyā€™ll switch McInerney & Cleary again, but seems unlikely at this stage.

We mightnā€™t outscore them 4 goals to 0 again but I canā€™t see us not playing for 25 minutes as we did in the 1st half again. If weā€™re not ahead of Clare, I donā€™t think weā€™ll get through.

Tipp have McCormack, Noel McGrath, Callanan, Bonner as well as the likes of Bubbles who was a sub that day. But none of them are full-backs; there are question marks over their full-back line still, and over the fitness of Callanan still. Theyā€™ll be stronger for sure, but I reckon we can do it.

Question marks over Callanan?

Tipp person at work seems to think he wonā€™t start vs Limerick; heā€™s back training, what? A week or two?

1 Like

:grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes::grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

1 Like

Heā€™s back longer than that but they wonā€™t be rushing him back.

They donā€™t need to. They have a panel of 36 top class players.

Imagine a panel of 36! :smile:

1 Like

Looks like Cian Dillon could be full back with Browne and McInerney in the corners with Cleary at centre back, Fitzgerald on one wing and Morey, Shanahan, Oā€™Connor and Oā€™Malley for the last wing back spot against Cork.

Assume the logic is Dillon v Harnedy, Browne v Hogan and David Mc v Cadogan are the match ups they want.

Thatā€™s a big change from McInerney at 6 so that he can have more influence on the game.

He had all league to make centre back his own and completely underwhelmed. A bit too interested in hoovering up loose ball and making support runs than actually holding the middle and led to a serious lack of shape in the hakf back line. It was an experiment worth doing but better make the change now rather than the week after the Cork game. Cleary was very solid at 6 last year and Mc will strengthen the full back line. Iā€™d see it as a positive mood given the injuries and lack of options we have in the full back line.

Iā€™d be surprised if anyone went unbeaten in Munster. Itā€™s a cliche but there actually will be no easy games. Iā€™d imagine Tipp will have enough to top it, after that it depends how good Waterford are this year. Massive gamble to basically throw the league and hope you can hit the ground running straight off. If they are firing they are the second best on paper IMO. After that itā€™s between three very even teams.

1 Like

Strengthens the full back line alright. I donā€™t get Browne being nailed on in the corner at all.

It was one of those that sounded great on paper, but just never clicked. In hindsight, maybe heā€™d be better suited to the wing than centre-back. But heā€™ll do a job in the corner for sure, and maybe thatā€™s where heā€™d actually be most benefit.

Huge gamble from Waterford, its v hard to know what theyā€™ll do. If theyā€™re anyway right they will come in the top 3 in Munster though I reckon.

Other corner back options like Flanagan, Rory Hayes and Oisin Oā€™Brien all out injured and unlikely to feature in the championship. Iā€™m not gone on him corner back. He is a solid enough wing back at I/C but he had a solid enough league, Iā€™d prefer him in the corner than Pat Oā€™ Connor but there are few other credible alternatives.