Munster Senior Hurling Championship 2020

Its easy to beat de burca

Put hegarty and Morrissey out on the touchline and widen the game as much as possible

Also disappointing to see Noel McGrath trying to get a fellow amateur sent off.

Plenty of hurling left yet. The qualifier draw will be important. You could possibly have Tipp v Wexford next weekend, or Cork v Dublin.

Good win. Hard look Tipp, they’ll have a say in it yet.

Woolly knew.

Cork played right into their hands, incredibly naive to rain ball down on him all day long. You’d hope Kiely and co will come up with something, as they did today.

I’d say today was up there with one of Lynch’s best championship displays. He was brilliant. Scores, assists, good use of possession, work rate and tackles. Super stuff.

He seemed to have a new lease of life. Not as bunched as it is at midfield, more room to create.

1 Like

Noel McGrath’s blatant cheating was disgusting. The refs have a hard enough time as it is and get enough shit from players and fans so the one thing we could do without is players deliberately trying to deceive the officials.

1 Like

That’s just him no matter where you pick him

Lads just to be honest. Noel mcGrath did nothing wrong there. Neither did Hegarty. A hurley in under the ribs would hurt

Very disappointing to see Noel McGrath trying to get a man sent off today.

@Big_Dan_Campbell and other people who’ve a notion about the game can you explain the logic of tipp winning the toss and electing to play into the breeze? I was told they won the toss(I missed the preamble)

This was a crucial moment in the game for me. The breeze was worth a fair few points and Sheehy had to have known this. Limerick in the past have struggled to chase games at times so almost guaranteeing them a lead at half time seemed an odd call to me.

It played perfectly into limericks hands once they secured the half time lead as it allowed limerick drop very deep and play 3/4 forwards in their attacking half with acres of space. It also gave limerick plenty of space to run into which is a strength of theirs. It’s a night mare for backs as it’s so slippy and there’s so much space. You are also chasing a lead so you need to take some risks. Cody used this tactics in a few all Ireland’s v Galway. Very tricky to overcome.

Given tipp also were going to lack match fitness it seemed odd they didn’t want to build up a lead and try hang onto it.

My own view is you should always play with the wind as there is always a chance it’ll die out during the game so the advantage would be neutralised.

I’m almost convinced limerick won the toss :sweat_smile:

I’ll think we’ll just move on.

Always. Always play against the wind in the first half.

Always play with the wind when you win the toss. The wind could be gone for the second half

4 Likes

In those conditions I don’t see why you would. It’s almost impossible to chase a lead when a team drops back so many players.

The prevailing logic with championship hurling is that championship games can often take ten or fifteen minutes to settle down in the opening thrusts and that the wind is better to have in the second half.

Every team and situation is different and there is no real right or wrong approach. Personally if I’m underdogs I’d take the wind but if you are an experienced team and fit you wouldn’t be too worried either way

2 Likes

I’d always play against the wind if I win the toss. It always takes 10/15 minutes to get into a game. Crucial on a day like today and it was planning out that way until the last 10 minutes of the first half.

2 Likes

I’d be the opposite. If you win the first half against the wind you have the game won

100%

1 Like

Sometimes when there’s a gale there, it can be better to have it in the second half when you’re getting tired. It can ‘carry you home’ as it were.

There’s a theory too that it takes teams 10 or 15 minutes to settle in these big games you can waste the wind in this period.

It’s also easier get away with time wasting in the first half than second. Theres usually only 1-2 minutes of added time in the first half but you’ll always get 4 or 5 in the second.

I think playing against it in the first half can be a good thing as no matter how far you’re behind at half time, if you get the first score or two of the second half, the whole mood changes and you can get serious momentum.

Obviously you must hope the wind doesn’t die down.

1 Like

For me it was a huge decision in how the game panned out. When limerick have a 5 or 6 point lead and sit back and almost counter Attack at teams they are impossible to break down.