Munster Senior Hurling Championship 2023 (Part 1)

Whatever about the underage performances from Waterford this year the state of the club game and the monopoly Ballygunner have is worrying. Having said that Ballygunner might have offered up a better contest there today than what Waterford served up. At least there would be some semblance of a game plan. I gave Davy a bit of credit after the last day but he will have to shoulder a lot of the blame for that farce today.

Based on the games so far you have to say a repeat of last year’s semifinals looks likely, at worst Limerick will take 3rd in Munster and demolish whoever they meet in the QF. Cork overrated as always after a facile victory today.

Overrated by who?

3 Likes

Agreed. The current set up favours good consistent teams

One of Wexford and Dublin is effectively guaranteed at least a quarter final under the current format.

2 Likes

It also disproportionately punishes bad teams, they play more games and get shown up more. But it’s not like Waterford would have found themselves in the Munster final if the format was different in recent years when they’ve been shit.

Its not all about winning All Ireland’s for these counties. Its about competing and feeling alive on the big days like provincial finals and All Ireland semi’s. They had a far better chance of being competitive under the old format.

Waterford made a load of semi finals and a few finals between 1998-2017 and 2020/2021. Wexford and Dublin to a lesser extent had some good days too in that period and at least even in the bad years never had to suffer through more than two defeats. Things go to shit in this bloated round robin format very quickly which can be soul destoying for a team/county.

There was no one from Waterford there last week or this week. Another couple of humiliations wont do them any good. If you lose twice you should be gone and no more about it.

7 Likes

That’s the last thing we want

Absolutely.

Did it just coincide with a half respectable team in 2020 too.

Wexford’s biggest occasion of the 2000s has been in a round robin year.

2 Likes

Don’t be letting facts getting in the way

2 Likes

All ireland Quarter Final’s are a nothing occasion played at graveyard slots at lunchtime on a Saturday.

Its no achievement for Dublin/Wexford to be there. Players arent stupid. A load of Dublin’s better players didnt commit this year.

Waterford used bring a decent travelling support back in the halycon days of McGrath, Flynn, Mullane and co but their support have deserted them or at least not travelling in numbers. I can understand why they might not travel to Limerick or Ennis but Thurles and Cork are hardly that hard to get to. When they were going well under Cahill in year 1 obviously AI final played behind closed doors. 2nd year they got there attendance was capped for a lot of games too but its not like they headed into this series of games without hope and certainly based on last weekend renewed optimism. Hard one to understand.

Who fucking rates them? Our own don’t even give them credit after saying they’d be destroyed when he team was named.

3 Likes

I think people like to think that Cork are overrated when in fact, if anything, they’ve gotten less credit than they probably deserved for today.

3 Likes

Its not just Waterford. The round robin has killed the travelling support.

Cant imagine too many Tipp people being in Cork next week for 7pm. Long journey back to North/Mid Tipp late at night and not sure if there’s even a train back that late on a Saturday night.

Most will wait for the home game v Limerick.

Was there many from Galway in Nowlan Park today? Looked like a League match crowd.

1 Like

Ya I think they did enough today and no more. No sniff of a goal is a concern. but missing o Donohue, Mahony and Flynn and fitzgibbon with nowt played recently…half backs mellerick and o Connell were average . Plenty improvement there hopefully but have to be happy just to get the win today

2 Likes

Under the qualifier system which was introduced in 2002 and ran for 16 seasons from 2002 to 2017, Waterford made the All Ireland semi final in 11 out of 16 seasons, only Kilkenny with 15 out of 16 featured more often in the semi final in that period. When this system was reintroduced during the Covid affected Championships in 2019 and 2020, Waterford appeared in the All Ireland Final and semi final again.

In the previous 3 years of the Round Robin, I did feel that the mini blitz format of playing every week hit Waterford particularly hard with injuries and lack of squad depth, an inevitable by-product of smallest playing numbers and playing pool in the province. The round robin every week is a war of attrition, where squad depth is paramount. The tempo of the qualifier systems where you were typically playing every 3 weeks suited Waterford.

This year, other factors at play. Over the two games, they’ve just looked a really badly coached and demoralised side. The appointment of Davy last August was largely greeted with dismay in the county. The noises I was hearing all year from the camp from people in the know, weren’t encouraging. I’ve lost count of the number of hardy matchgoers I’ve spoken to in recent weeks who’ve said they couldn’t be bothered going to Waterford matches anymore with Davy at the helm. I was in Thurles last Sunday and Cork today. Pitiful Waterford crowds both days. And to think there’s two more fixtures of this misery to fulfill still. I won’t be going to be either of the remaining two games in Thurles and my young fellow declared coming out of Pairc Ui Chaoimh this afternoon that he’s had enough of it for this year.

I must check the club fixtures, but probably another 3 months of arsing around for the County Championships to start on the August bank holiday weekend after Waterford all but exited the Championship on the last day of April.

Jaysus anyone I talk to is going. Hard to hire buses apparently. I’d say there will be close to 40K there.

3 Likes

Questions need to be asked about playing two games in six days. Hard to know but seems to a lot of players are picking up serious injuries.

2 Likes