Munster Senior Hurling Championship 2023 (Part 1)

They lack the consistency. Can raise their game for Limerick but haven’t shown the ability to do this everyday, against allcomers.

1 Like

That’s the big question… Can they do it consistently over another 3/4/5 games

Have they the depth of squad to allow that. They are in better shape this year in that regard but @Big_Dan_Campbell might confirm

I think they did last year to an extent - they gave 5 very consistent high quality performances in Munster last year but the tank ran empty. I’m hindsight it was probably no surprise as the core group of 21 players they used, 15 of them missed large chunk, 6 weeks or more, during the season with injury and the energy reserves simply weren’t there.

They now have added Adam Hogan, Aidan McCarthy and a fully fit Mark Rodgers to the starting team and have Shanagher and Meehan fully fit as impact subs. David Reidy snd Seadna Morey should both be back in contention for minutes against Waterford in two weeks too. The team and panel look in a better place, they still have a bit to go to win an all Ireland but the team and match day panel look in far better shape than this time 12 months ago when the likes of Shane Golden, Jason McCarthy and Domhnall McMahon were starting or coming off the bench last April/May

1 Like

They’ve a couple of players back but not in all positions.

That would be my take on it aswell.

Mark Rodgers is a cracking, cracking player. Hogan seriously impressed me too as he has done in every game I’ve watched him in fairness.

If Meehan can find form… Clare may not be as dependent up front on TK at all.

Rodgers, Meehan, Hogan are serious young guys to build a team.

1 Like

A lack of real depth from 5 to 12 might be the issues the longer the year goes on. Good options in reserve for full backline and full forward but anything 5 to 12 will probably require a reshuffle

2 Likes

Fair point but the complete capitulation to Kilkenny last year would suggest that we really won’t know if Clare are ready or not until an AI semi final in CP later in the year. They might, but I wouldn’t be risking any cash on them just yet. In saying that, I’d have them over Cork any day of the week. I wasn’t impressed with Cork yesterday.

They’re definitely ahead of Cork to take on Limerick, for sure. They possess a lot more physicality and have better ball winners up front.

Cork v Clare is usually a fairly open game of hurling though. Clare will be favourites of course but Cork won’t fear them

1 Like

I think Cork will be bookies favourites in that match v Clare and against Tipp next week.

They went off 1/2 yesterday. Oddsmakers always want Cork onside.

Interesting there was no outright markt for the All Ireland anywhere last night, they don’t know how to price Limerick or it might just be the bank holiday!

1 Like

It has taken me a couple of days. Well done Clare, out thought and out fought us for everything. Fit and strong, well able for the grunt and getting great hurling out of every line.

Limerick are in trouble. It’s flat. They are giving everything but that collectively isn’t what it was. If they turn it around from here it will be arguably their best achievement. Massive game in Thurlas now.

Great atmosphere last Saturday night, same as Ennis and Thurlas last year. Some thoroughly decent Clare lads around me the other night, proper supporters. The big shake hands at the end, you could see what it meant to them.

10 Likes

Cork were just a little bit better than the self sabotaging Waterford lads yesterday.

They’ll end up 4th being Limerick, Clare and Tipperary.

Cork are not good. That forward line will not prosper if they’re actually marked.

Defensively fragile too.

1 Like

I don’t buy the ‘round robin doesn’t suit Waterford’s mentality or whatever’ argument tbh. Waterford have some very good hurlers but, in fairness, everyone called appointing Davy to be a complete disaster for them.

Waterford fucking away the victory against Limerick had nothing to do with their woes with a particular format, if they had not self-destructed Davy-style against 14 men, they would have won. They were just shit yesterday, full stop; way too loose defensively, without any real plan about how to feed their forwards.

3 Likes

Eh I say it as I see it is. PR is the right man for the job but he doesn’t have the players, currently, to deliver an AI. Do you disagree?

Nothing games and a nothing format and @Rocko will probably need a new server with all the comments

3 Likes

This shit should be investigated and acted on by the CCCC

3 Likes

Saturday night was Clare’s All Ireland final, I can see Cork ambushing them

Not sure there was enough in it to be suspending the Waterford player

The Munster championship is the greatest competition on earth.

2 Likes