Munster Senior Hurling Championship 2023 (Part 1)

I’m not sure there would be much buy in were he to assemble a squad for next year in November. You could see at least half a dozen lads saying fuck this. Dessie Hutchinson in a work horse role. Gleeson looks at the end of his tether. Jamie Barron been a great servant but injuries and on the road a long time. TDB all to do to make it back again. Hardly many options coming through either. I know he wasnt playing tonight but I think you can summarise Davys year by contrasting fortunes of 2 players who hurled Fitzgibbon cup together this year. Michael Kiely has looked a star underage and won Fitzgibbon POTY. He hasnt looked remotely anything like that for Waterford at senior level. Bryan O Mara by contrast looks like a player who has been coached superbly and instilled with belief and is thriving. Sample size might still be small. Kiely could go on to have a great career for Waterford but it wont be under Davy.

On Davy, he looks like a man who has bought into his own hype. He has lost his edge. He is passive and almost motionless on the sideline. Whatever he had going for himself as a manager it was when he had this siege mentality. Us vs them. Terrier like. When he is not that it falls very flat. Almost apathetic. You are better off with a boring fucker like Lohan who is steady as she goes as you dont quite know when he will lose his shit but with Davy its signposted from afar. How he got reappointed is something I cant quite get my head around. Itd be like Man Utd going begging Ole to come back.

13 Likes

You’ve summed that up perfectly

Surely the end of Davy as an Intercounty coach. How the fuck can you set a team up like that and expect anything but a hiding.

Feech has to be picked up off the ground like he’s been assaulted by Aaron Gillane.

5 Likes

Davy needs to get Seoirse Bulfin to drop Meath and come back for one last ride of the gravy train

2 Likes

The fault ultimately lies with the Waterford CB for appointing him - again.

Mind boggling decision. Fool me once, shame on you… fool me twice…

3 Likes

If Davy is still in charge in the morning Waterford CB wants shooting

2 Likes

Fuck it, we need Waterford competitive. Its hard to process their drop since winning the league last year, which was off the back of an Aĺl ireland semi-final and an Alll Ireland final appearance in 2020.

Without absolving the manager of the blame, I just don’t think they have the players and also think the players are far from blameless

1 Like

Seems like players have to bend down to facilitate Davy being able to see whats going on outside the huddle.

I’m fond of Waterford hurling which maybe overlooks things but - in my opinion they have not got the best out of a very talented group of players.

Its clear since Cahill went results have dropped off a cliff. Waterford need to get someone competent in their to steady things asap.

Did the players push Cahill out though?

1 Like

The :clown_face:shoe of this forum with yet another sage prediction, I suspect he’s still stuck back in last September carrying Gleeson shoulder high after Mount Sion beat Ballygunner in the county final.

5 Likes

His position became untenable. There was a player/dressing room leak prior to a championship game (Cork I think) and after that it was all over. He called them out publicly over it but also questioned their character on more than 1 occasion too. Waterford lads arent easy to coach.

1 Like

Yeah they actually have a good group of players there at present. A fine team on paper. The fear is what will happen in the next 5-10 years because they’ve been struggling massively at underage since the 2016 U21 success.

1 Like

Very hard to know.

It did seem to go badly for a finish alright.

You are obsessed :roll_eyes:

Obsessed with fact checking and calling out frauds like yourself, guilty as charged

Cahill’s big mistake was his handling of the Ballygunner players after the AI Club. There was absolutely no need to call them out as “not fit” and then the medal presentation fiasco.

Show them some bit of respect at least.

He is a short term manager and will eventually fall out with everyone in Tipp too but anyway.

Making a couple of incorrect predictons is hardly a crime ffs.

1 Like