Munster Senior Hurling Championship 2023 (Part 1)

After last year Waterford needed a unifying presence, a figure who’d give the players confidence, get them organised, maintain discipline and stay calm while playing to the teams strengths - which is most definitely a positive attacking style with players like Gleeson, Bennett, Dessie and Patrick Fitzgerald.

They then go out and give the job to that pox. Insane.

7 Likes

I don’t think Davy’s stock will ever be higher than it was on that night in 2019 when he had the will he-won’t he dilemma between Wexford and Galway. I hadn’t checked my phone that morning and went into work to find a Galway born colleague absolutely ecstatic that Davy was apparently theirs. I was a bit taken aback at the news and had to settle myself after the shock that our Bainisteoir was potentially deserting us. Now Galway wouldn’t go near him with a barge pole.

4 Likes

He’ll have to log in under the other username for a few weeks

The turning point in Davy’s Coaching journey seemed to occur on November 3rd 2019 when his Sixmilebridge side were absolutely destroyed on home soil in a Munster Club game.

He’s never fully recovered from it.

1 Like

Whoever he was, he was on his own. Nobody I spoke to at the time wanted to go near him.

11 Likes

It was a female colleague. Davy is the Housewives favourite to be fair.

The turning point was Wexford not being able to beat Tipp in the semi finał with an extra man.

6 Likes

Ah fair enough.

100%. What an opportunity that was. A massive filling of the togs from Wexico. Once in a generation chance.

2 Likes

2017 Waterford made the all Ireland final.

2020 they made the final.

2021 they made the Munster final and all Ireland semi final.

2018, 19, 22 and 23 theyve been destroyed by the round robin mini blitz.

After the Limerick game they’d something to work on but the last thing they needed was a seven day turnaround to a must win game away to a fresh cork side.

A break with maybe a round of club games and a couple of qualifiers allowed a team like Waterford build momentum in the past.

They’ve a small squad and these 6 and 7 day turnarounds doesn’t suit them. You watch any sport and all you hear about is the importance of rest but in the gaa we love to tell people how the players train like professionals but they can’t rest like professionals. That’s has a huge impact on players.

I think inter county hurling from senior, 20s and minor is essentially done now in Waterford for 2023 and it isn’t even the middle of may yet.

I’d hazard a guess there’ll be no hurling in Waterford very soon. It’ll be similar in Wexford and Dublin to bar they make the odd all Ireland semi final thanks to the draw and catch one of the Munster teams burnt out in an all Ireland quarter final. A little like Clare and Wexford last year.

All I can ask is when in the name of Jesus will lads wake up this horrendous system?

4 Likes

The inevitable self pitying interview after the final Waterford game already writes itself.

‘Them boys are hurting, so many injuries this year, fine margins, these lads will be back, best lads I ever trained, they’re all with me, I’ve a three year deal and want to turn this around, people outside the camp trying to undermine us but we’ll stay doing what we’re doing, proud of them boys, we’ll get working and we’ll get there, trust me.’

10 Likes

There is no question that the likes of Waterford/Wexford have been discarded on account of the split season

1 Like

The new system has failed Waterford as much as it has benefitted Limerick. In the old system it might very well be Waterford chasing immortality

3 Likes

Its a complete joke of a system and humiliating for them to have to go again in Thurles in a few weeks.

Round Robins simply dont work in I/C GAA.

2 Likes

:joy::joy::joy::joy::joy:

The big house are having their fun and thats all that matters

1 Like

A fella walking around with a headpiece, a T-shirt and gillet. He needed a slap round the head. Where was Eoin Kelly? No sign of him as far as I could see

Serious asterisk

Davys going nowhere. The players dont have the stomach to give him the heave ho after lobbying for him to come back. The CB backed him for 3 yr term. They’d have to publicly admit they fcuked it all up.Davys bulletproof. Jamie Barron gave an interview in the Sunday papers 2 weeks ago it was all about the 3 yr plan. Davy has them eating out of the palm of his hand.

1 Like

If Waterford were looking outside then they should have opted for Michael O’ Donoghue. I was sure the only top 10 county job Davy could aspire to obtain would have been in Dublin.

I can’t imagine Aussie and Stephen Bennett will be organising a bus load to go to Sixmilebridge this winter to turn Davy’s head. The Miwadi and biscuit trick doesn’t appear to have worked the oracle either this time.

2 Likes