Munster Senior Hurling Championship 2023 (Part 1)

I believe they (players) wanted to interview him, and he said sod that.

1 Like

I said exactly this craic would happen, before it happened. But of course the American football fans, who just lee-uve puerile razzamatazz, took umbrage. You have to understand hurling – and life – not to be passive before what is going to happen.

Davy Fitzgerald and Derek McGrath are a blight on the game. Because almost no one in the media understands or loves hurling, and because almost everyone in the media prizes razzamatazz for mere sake of it, those two bluffers will continue to be indulged.

Learn to substitute ‘learnings’ for ‘lessons’. Job done. Sophistication achieved.

5 Likes

Kev?

1 Like

But what do you think of Fintan O’Connor? Is he not just a Midwadi version of Davy Fitz?

O’ Connor would have a knowledge of Waterford hurling. Teaches there and has been involved with SETUW/WIT. I suppose that would be a plus in a Cummins backroom.

As for his brand of hurling…

He has his hands in too many pies for my liking.

WIT, Tipp 20’s, Kilmallock, Lismore and Ballybacon i think.

1 Like

Pat Ryan has always disputed this health issue as bull

He was with Kilmallock last year but it looked like the senior players were doing the managing.

:rofl::rofl::rofl: Love it!

3 Likes

The brand of hurling is a major problem. I saw FO’C in action with Mullinahone and he seemed two ends of an ape. A rugby head from Kildare gone full gravy trail.

I remember, after that game against Mullinahone, FO’C gave about 15m outside with his large full forward, a lad at least three stone overweight, ‘showing him’ how to mark two backs at the same time. Yer man’s face was akin to a bulldog licking piss off a nettle.

2 Likes

True for you.

PR went to meet the Waterford players and found the dynamic in the meeting was nearly like a star chamber, led by Grand Inquisitor Noel Connors. PR thought to himself: ‘Not dealing with these lads.’

The reason Liam Cahill swiftly gave NC the road? Because of hearing about that star chamber craic.

2 Likes

You should go and watch Tipp v Clare u20 last night where Tipp played a sweeper and no full forward line.

Cummins got a nice handy gig in Kerry with FOC so repaid the favour, a big mistake by him.

On the ground in Waterford he is generally given credit for his work with Blackwater Lismore but whether that’s enough to be involved with the senior team is another question.

Whatever about Davy, you’d have to wonder why Eoin Kelly is tolerating being involved with such a set up.

What has Kelly ever done? Is he not one of Davids disciples

He was never involved with Davy before this year afaik.

I’m not sure that’s true but more in the business world than on the field. Seriously though, what coaching has Kelly done

We don’t even try and get forwards playing in forward positions. We have lads playing out in midfield and nothing inside the 45.

Touch, control and striking are non existent. We have gone miles back in this regard. We are awful with ball in hand. Constantly dropping and fumbling the ball and if we do try and deliver a ball under pressure it’s like a hospital pass to a team mate.

Monty has has a nightmare few weeks. His shooting is junior standard in these games. He had two awful wides last night. And then he went and hit a third one from about 70 yards out on the wind and lamped it wide. He was not the only either. These lads are better than that. They have to be better than that.

The two goals we conceded last night were when we were attacking and lost the ball. Our players are not playing with enough intensity or urgency. Lads don’t seem to know what time they have on the ball at all. Fellas getting caught dawdling in possession.

Under a breaking ball we we to read it at all and players look like they switch off. It’s ridiculous to look at. There was a few times last night we seemed to run the opposite direction to the ball as it broke. At one stage in the first half clare got a point after Peter hogan stopped playing for a ball on the ground and and held his hands up at the referee. We are all over the shop.

And we need to pick a goalkeeper for the goal. The lad in there at present is way off it in terms of puck outs and use of the ball.

Our react

5 Likes

I think Cummins would be more of the same for Waterford.

Tipp 20s played a fairly defensive game plan similar to the Davy style we’ve become accustomed with.

Eoin Kelly was a wonderful hurler and is, personally, an out and out gentleman (on all accounts and also on my miniscule dealings with him). Most important things to say.

Will admit, though, I do wonder myself about him and DF, in the same way I wonder about chalk and cheese.

2 Likes

Entirely true on Tipperary U20s. Mindboggingly illogical approach.

But not rare. The Derek McGrath-‘coached’ Dublin U20s had the Kilkenny U20 full back line in all sorts of bother during the first half of their recent meeting. What happens in the second half? Why, the Dublin full forward line withdraws en masse into midfield – and Kilkenny win quite easily in the end. The tactical genius of DMcG…