Munster Senior Hurling Championship 2023 (Part 1)

I could see poor Jamie Barron or someone getting poleaxed by WOD in the middle of the field while the ref is down at the 45 trying to get Hego and the lads to retreat.

RTE news : Stronger, wiser Clare must compete for Munster honours

http://www.rte.ie/sport/hurling/2023/0419/1377834-championship-on-the-horizon-can-anyone-stop-limerick/

As opposed to last year when they lost the Munster Final in extra time?

Gobshite.

Clare will win Munster.

Bookmark it

Are Limerick throwing Munster this year so?

It looks like throwing the ball is being clamped down on and we have to throw something.

Give it a rest.

I have no idea how this pitch in Cusack Park will be deemed suitable for a Munster championship game on Sunday

1 Like

Thurles didn’t look great last night either.

With another match to come on Friday.

Seems like the pitches are taking a battering thanks to the front loading of games into March and April. Who could possibly have foreseen this? @ChairmanDan

Which pitches?

Thurles and Ennis for a start.

Waterford cant even find a pitch.

1 Like

Bad aul land. Shur Waterford is a marsh

Championship hurling is a summer sport. If you are running it off in mini blitz format from the middle of April on the back of the wettest February and March since weather records began, what do you expect. They’re a bright lot these split season zealots.

1 Like

April evenings are for challenge matches. Like the one at 11 minutes into the below clip.

People like Babs Keating were true guardians of the game, providing excellent inside access to RTE’s Gaelic Stadium and throwing a few curses in into the bargain. Now there’s no preview programme, because it’s important that as little attention as possible be drawn to the spring blitz masquerading as “the championship”.

3 Likes

The pitch in Thurles was in a poor enough state last night. Has there been a change of the guard there recently? It genuinely seems like it has gone downhill over the last number of years.

The Gaelic grounds and Pairc Ui Chaoimh have had work done recently in fairness, but still you’d be expecting Thurles to be looking better than it was last night.

1 Like

There is a problem with the sun getting at it in the winter. It always takes time to come right in spring/summer but would normally be excellent from May/June onwards.

Traditionally they used sand it too between League and Championship and it seemed to work.

They closed it to give it a break after the Munster Club Final last December (Ballygunner v Ballyhale couldn’t be played there) but God only knows how that helped.

2 Likes

Yerra. Should try refereeing a LGFA match with no lines marked at all.

It is time Clare win Munster and an All Ireland. I think they win both, you can bookmark this my man.

1 Like