Munster Senior Hurling Championship 2023 (Part 1)

As has the ballwinning and amount of tackles and turnovers, which is probably an even bigger problem.

1 Like

No real alternatives either. Kyle has to stay where he is. CON in for Hego and P Casey to start.

2 Likes

Yes there was poor distribution by Tipp backs too but it was an obvious tactic from Tipp not to allow Hannon or Nash get on the ball if it could be helped at all. They were happy to let the rest have it. Byrnes is usually good but looks out of sorts at the minute. Casey, Morrissey and Hayes are not very good on the ball.

Limerick got it all their own way for too long when teams let Barry Nash free to do what he pleased and look like Franz Beckenbauer in the process. Now that he’s been curtailed somewhat its becoming very obvious that the rest are very unsure of themselves on the ball.

Tipp focused in on certain Limerick players who they thought could beat them. Nash and Hannon being the two main ones at the back, Hegarty and Lynch were marked out of it too. This allowed other Limerick players get more freedom. The two men who took advantage of this were Cathal O’Neill and Mulcahy when he was on. They did the damage between them and ultimately scored 7 points, a huge contribution in a goal-less game.

1 Like

Nicky took the knee soon after that too

Tipp copying Waterford is a new low for Tipperary hurling.

Huge result. Did wonders for Waterford too

5 Likes

Is there a danger for Munster teams that this Munster championship has been too competitive and that we’ll end up with a Kilkenny v Galway All-Ireland final?

Limerick’s route to winning four in a row is very tough looking now. They need to beat Cork, then the loser of Kilkenny v Galway, then the winner of Tipp v Clare, and then whoever is there in the final, probably Kilkenny or Galway.

So the route might be Cork, Carlow, Kilkenny, Clare, Galway. That’s a fierce tough route and I don’t think they’re up to it, mentally, physically or form wise.

Dublin beating Galway on Saturday (presuming Kilkenny beat a demoralised Wexford which they surely will now) would be a result that would massively help Limerick, as it would mean they get Dublin in a quarter-final rather than Kilkenny or Galway.

2 Likes

Jaysus he rattled the absolute shite out of you.

2 Likes

If Limerick don’t make it I hope it’s a Galway v Kilkenny final. Be absolutely hilarious after listening to lads wax lyrical about their beloved Munster championship for the past few weeks.

1 Like

Is it set in stone Limerick meet the winners of tipp v clare in the semi final?

No they have to win 3 games to get to that stage so not set in stone.

Diving and simulation is hugely prevalent in the Munster senior hurling championship. Certainly compared to the more honest blue collar fare in Leinster. 8 or 9 of the top 10 premier simulators in the game ply their trade in the Munster senior hurling championship. I won’t name names but we all know who they are. These individuals spend half their time rolling around on the turf holding their heads or flinging their arms up in the air at every contact pleading for frees from compliant refs.

Another scourge of the Munster senior hurling championship is fist pumping. Win a free. Fist pump. Dive and win a free. Double fist pump. Dive and win a free in the last 5 minutes of a game. Triple fist pump. Showy and ostentatious fist pumping is rightly frowned upon in the more sober (literally) surroundings of Chadwicks Wexford Park or UPMC Nowlan Park.

5 Likes

The ott celebrations in hurling are incredibly annoying. They can slow the game down a good bit as well.

Waterford in the mid 00s wouldn’t get a look in.

Has the split season exacerbated the scourge of fist-pumping?

I doubt it. Shane McGrath and Brendan Bugler were two of the finest exponents of the fist pump.

Taunting after winning a free is gone epidemic. I hate seeing it

2 Likes

An enjoyable day out yesterday. I thought Tipp did well in their first half tactics. With the aid of the wind they played three inside men with someone else sitting on Hannon. Our wing forwards went deep back the field. Byrnes and Hayes were left free as a result and played zonally. All balls with the aid of the wind were delivered to the inside line in the first half with clearances never hit on 10/12.

Tipp struggled vs the breeze in the 2nd half with many of our clearances being too deep amd not bypassing the LK half back line.

As usual at half time Lk rectified the problem. They played the ball out of defence switching cross field balls finding Hayes free a lot and thus changing the point of attack.

Tipps long puck outs really targetted Byrnes with an over load there, while Hayes was kept honest by Staeklum on the other side.

Tipp were really game and “maxed out” but in hindsight I felt were lucky to get the draw. I made it that Tipp missed only 6 scoring opportunities while Lk missed 14.

It was encouraging to see Tipp try a different gameplan in order to try beat Lk. Cahills hard running game from the middle 3rd had previously failed with Waterford and in the league with Tipp. I do expect it to return next Sunday though.

12 Likes

Are you for real? The Yellow Bellies invented this craic. Granted, they don’t have much reason for it lately.

The waterbreaks or lack thereof, have helped teams as it takes Limerick longer to adjust.

1 Like

The Limerick lads will look back very fondly on the covid years. They got very lucky.

1 Like