Munster Senior Hurling Championship 2023 (Part 1)

In fairness it does show the genius of Kinnerk (I presume) that they’re able to work out a solution.

What was most pleasing for me was the Limerick onslaught came at start of second half and we didn’t really go hiding for a change.

3 Likes

That was the big thing for me. I’ve read a lot of hot takes but in 2021 and 22 tipp gave Limerick bags of it for long periods before fading.

Tipp looked a much fitter team now.

The same can be said about Clare under Lohan. Physically they can match Limerick now.

Lucky four times.

2 Likes
  • Lucky it was only Galway we had to get over along the way most years, who knows if we beat Cork Sunday they would be a great confidence booster again in the AI series.

Football What GIF by Hertha BSC

Sunday is a mammoth game,for both teams. If Limerick win, they’ll win the AI in my opinion. They’re playing poorly atm but are still ridiculously difficult to outlast. They could find serious form after, or on, Sunday.

Cork have the opportunity to grab their finest victory at senior level in a long while and knock out one of the greatest teams of all time.

5 Likes

If Cork beat Limerick it would be a real kick in the balls for Limerick’s legacy as a great team.

They can’t go for forever pal.

6 years is a long time.

Really? 4 AIs in five years? Clare and Tipp have seriously upped their game this year. They are both excellent.

Harsh on Limerick given how competitive Munster is.

Kilkenny cake walking Leinster every year…
I think this year show’s how truly great they are. They’re having everything fucked at them while seriously out of form and they’re still absolute bastards to beat. They could easily have won the last two games but for awful shooting under no pressure.

It’s largely muscle memory but with 3 of your best players not performing (Finn, Lynch, Hego) and many others also under par, it’s fair going.

1 Like

Not really Limerick’s legacy is fairly secure even if they weren’t to get out of Munster again in the next few years. The only question as to how much more they add to it rather than takeaway from it.

Sunday will have taken a lot out of Limerick. Cork have more than a punchers chance as they have the legs for it. But they have plenty to tidy up from yesterday

5 Likes

Limerick will bate Cork with their caps.

6 Likes

I’m not sure…

Corks pace is a concern.

What pace? Harnedy and Hoggy inside is dangerous but not pacey. Dalton is slow. Conor Cahalane is grand in a straight line.

Kingston and Tim would definitely improve us from the start IMO. I’d nearly drop Dalton for Barrett as well

Barrett looked afraid to shoot

It’s hard to see that happening.
Limerick are fairly difficult to gauge at the moment.
On one hand they look miles off their best, but at the same time they’ve still created enough chances to convincingly win every game so far. It’s hard to see what changes in terms of their crispness of play between now and next week, when nothing much has changed after 3 weeks off.

1 Like

With the way they are functioning at the minute theyd forget to bring their caps

1 Like

I don’t know if it was game plan, I doubt it was as Harnedy and Horgan certainly weren’t expecting it but Joyce and Downey wasted an awful lot of ball in the second half yesterday hitting the space into the corners of the 21s. Hogan and Hayes had it very easy due to this. It must have been close to double figures.

Cork’s backs battled manfully in the second half and played really well as a unit but their use of the ball was very poor - was surprised by Joyce, thought he would be more composed on the ball.

Cork really lack a link man at midfield/half forward - all too often it was either sideways hand pass to a runner or long aimless ball after a positive opening 15 minutes. None of the half forwards yesterday seemed interested in getting 30/40 yard passes off the defence to play through the lines. They are trying to fashion Dalton into this and he did some nice things yesterday but they need more ball players than runners from 8 to 15. TOM would surely offer more on the 40 than Lehane.

Fitzgibbon for all his ability is looking very one dimensional too. If he can’t take off in s straight line burst then he doesn’t offer much else even the couple of times yesterday he did it was like he had blinkers on as he overran it and got dispossessed.

That was the game plan. In the league at times, like against Limerick in the first game, Cork delivered the ball far too early. Need to mix it up more.

The ball was placed in good areas but not really playing to the strenths of Harnedy and Hoggy. Conlan did a fantastic job sweeping up ball too.

Clare had men available when their defenders won the ball. Apart from Collins being free for Cork, our defenders didn’t really have much options short at all.

Correct. Cork have three lads who’ve no pace.

I think that gives Limerick the opportunity to go English, Casey, Nash, Morrissey, hannon and byrnes.

You can move Kyle to 11.

Put o Neill and Tom on the two wings. Gillane and lynch in the two corners and maybe Peter Casey roaming about from 14.