Munster Senior Hurling Championship 2023 (Part 1)

Ah come on mate, do you seriously not realise this woeful skulduggery was never heard of before the current Limerick team?
I think Kinnerk invented it, whiteboards were full of detail on it to the exact second. Well oiled machine!

2 Likes

I don’t know of many keepers blatantly at that craic.

Diving is rife unquestionably

To be fair the Tipp fans I know would be breaking their hole laughing at some of the wumming here! Poor auld Nicky the devil incarnate

Simulation is certainly widespread. Look on a broader note you could argue Limerick are being refereed differently too. Some of the stuff some of the Tipp players were at in terms of stopping a fella was way over the line yesterday. I won’t name any players in question.

Limerick will get on with it though. No complaints. It was a fantastic game. Kill or be killed now on Sunday vs Cork.

The majority of games in the munster championship to date have been top class. I’m expecting it to go up a notch further this weekend.

2 Likes

Any stats on this?

A rule that is only applied for some.

You must remember that Tipperary are coming off the back of being at absolute rock bottom less than 12 months ago.

On top of all the retirements then, the panel has gone through an injury crisis in the past 12 months with Barry Heffernan, Craig Morgan, Paddy Cadell and Ciaran Connolly all out long term and Jason Forde out now too.

The team and panel that went out yesterday was as cobbled together a 26 as Tipp have ever had. 5 rookies starting, a load more on the bench.

Expectation was never lower. And yet Limerick needed a whole host of marginal refereeing calls to snatch a draw.

1 Like

Thanks for that clarification. I understand your elation at drawing with this piss poor Limerick team now.

The ref gave Tipp a free for nothing at the end to get Tipp their drew with Limerick trophy.

2 Likes

A healthy rivalry, not a dirty one, a healthy one and long may it continue.

6 Likes

Far from elated but its important to provide some context.

Tipp conceded 7 goals in the first two games and were in dissaray at the back so for Limerick to not even create a goal chance (bar Hego’s Hollywood effort) is a sign they aren’t very good.

Kiely called that free spot on in his post match interview. One of those the losing team gets and the team in the lead never gets.

Wasnt one bit bitter about it either in fairness to him. These things equal themselves out too.

Makes perfect sense with the further clarification.

1 Like

Limerick had 3 weeks to get it right and their travelling support and even the media were expecting an onslaught. It never arrived and if it did it was quelled pretty quickly. Some were predicting a 7 or 8 point victory. Limerick would have been primed that this was as good as a knock out game.l whereas Tipp knew they had a 2nd chance against Waterford.

Much commentary seems to be centered around the fact that if Limerick could even get 1 of Hegarty and Lynch back to somewhere near their top form they will take all the beating. Thats fair enough and true to a certain degree but a good few Tipp lads hurled within themselves yesterday too and will be disappointed with themselves. Some reverted to bad habits around hitting the ball away when there were better options.

There is more scope for improvement in Tipp and I dont think we have come near the ceiling for this team.

Next week Limerick and Cork will be seismic. Knockout hurling at its best. Kiely will stick with his tried and tested and I dont foresee any controversy around team selection. This Limerick team have doled out a few hammerings to Cork but times they are a changing. Cork need to go with their strongest 15 and that means Kingston and O Mahoney have to start along with Millerick. They need kingston to drag Hannon all over the pitch. I dont think Cork lost much in defeat against Clare bar the game and the points of course but their reputation and grit went up in my estimation. They had any amount of goal chances which they will need to convert to cause an upset next week.

Limerick know what they have to do. Will they produce a better display than against Tipp on a short turnaround and having to go to the well a few times. Hard one to call.

7 Likes

He was also raving about the fucking wind changing direction. I laughed my hole off at that one. Any wind that was there was minimal and it did not fucking change direction. Byrnes put one over from his own 45 from the sideline. I think he is slowly losing it.

3 Likes

That is a good and fair analysis I would say, Limerick this year have a lot of ifs.

I was very impressed with Tipp. Iwould only disagree in that I believe on what our known ceiling is compared to what this Tipp team may well reach I would still believe we have more scope for improvement.

Whether we can get to that ceiling again is a big if though

That was brilliant to be fair re the wind :joy:

Kiely is schrewd out. We may still have a say in this championship yet mate. Very big ask though.

1 Like

You might watch it back, WOD aims a fairly wreckless swing at McGrath. May look soft but definitely contact.
That cunt Stack was actually well positioned to make the call.

The line ball decision beforehand was farcical

1 Like

I’d agree with that on Cork.

I didn’t think they’d pick up any points on the road after seeing them vs Tipp but they went up in my estimation yesterday.

I think they’ll be buoyant after it. Unless Limerick drastically improve, Cork will win.

1 Like

4-4 on All-Irelands won since 2000 between Tipp and Limerick. Nothing in it, just like the game yesterday.

1 Like