Munster Senior Hurling Championship 2023 (Part 1)

Very true, soneone to put their fast lads into space. They never really replaced Daniel Kearney, not the biggest or fastest but clever on the ball and worked hard. A Noel McGrath type player would be huge for them but there ain’t many of him out there.

Kingston doesn’t have the nous to pull Hannon out of position either, as @johnnysachs was suggesting. He’s a pin the ears back and go type rather than a fella to pop up in pockets of space. Not sure could Harnedy do it if he set his mind to it either

2 Likes

Cork are very loose though which is probably the one thing you cant be with Limerick. Limerick will start popping it around, Hannon and Byrnes start pinging balls.

Cork are made fir Limerick that way.

3 Likes

Fair point.

Will the Cork forwards be disciplined enough to ensure Nash and Hannon aren’t given time and space?

In hindsight that 2016 defeat to Tipp in U21 was a major upset. A stacked Limerick team against a middle of the road Tipp group. Waterford comfortably disposed of them in the Munster Final after that.

1 Like

Tipps young guns are only going to improve for reps and at a fast rate. I guess Limerick have the reps and muscle memory but its now a question of how much thread is left on the tyres. Tipp you could say have produced very consistent performances this year. All 7 or 8 out of 10. Some day it’ll all click hopefully. Limerick will probably beat Cork if they can reproduce yesterdays performance but I wouldnt write off Cork yet. They have only hurled in snatches and being there or thereabouts in all games. It might click for them too and why not Sunday.

2 Likes

I thought Tipp worked hard but were bang average, Limerick coughed over 3-4 silly points to them, I think Clare will comfortably beat them in the Munster final after seeing them play both.

1 Like

A draw good enough for them?

Theyll probably have Fitzgibbon there and hope he reproduces level of performance against Waterford.

They’ll play for the draw is it?

We beat Clare comfortably already in Ennis. This Tipp team would have enough for Clare in a munster final.

1 Like

Ya, thats the thing for me. You’ve a few of their forwards who wouldn’t have the engine and other lads who wouldnt have the inclination to track hard yards.

Horgan, Harnedy, Fitzgibbon, Lehane and probably others.

Tipp really hurt Limerick first half with the quality of their striking bypassing the Limerick halfback line. Don’t know have the Cork halfback line and midfield that in their locker. They’ll run it and Limerick will probably bust them up around the middle.

2 Likes

I think though that Tipp’s best chance of winning anything under Cahill is this year.

I watched it back and you could see and hear him on the line berating his own players in a poor manner a load of times. It doesnt look great and will only last so long.

They are also playing a very punishing style of hurling which requires massive workrate.

Its working for now though so long may it last.

1 Like

He faded out of it completely I thought the last day, hard to go pinning your hopes on him again. Is he a lad that just wants to play the game that suits him rather than what the team needs?

With Cleary gone a suspect Clare FB line is even more suspect now

The 2nd half from Limerick yesterday has me more optimistic after watching it back. We created the chances but just didnt convert them.

Cork coming to town is always dangerous though. Pat Ryan has improved them as well. Will only be a puck of a ball in it.

2 Likes

I don’t think they will go gung ho and allow Limerick HB line time to ping it about.

If they do, then Limerick will do what they done repeatedly for last 5 years. Bate the shite of them.

Cork will go through if its a draw due to scoring difference alright.

Very good points.

I was glad Tipp took my advice afrer the League Semi Final and stopped running the ball into 5 big Limerick lads around the middle and getting busted up.

1 Like

In a freak game with 5 goals scored, Clare have a far better group of backs, an excellent midfield and forwards in Kelly and SOD who will give those Tipperary backs the run around, they also have the experience of last years final to draw from.