Munster Senior Hurling Championship 2023 (Part 1)

You always worry that Clare will falter as they did last year against KK.

Definitely a massive amount of potential there but at the business end of it there always a doubt.

1 Like

Jake Morris looked absolutely class yesterday and he is potentially a top 3 forward in the country. He seems to be bringing on the young lads. Id say hes a great coach if he could temper the negativity that way.

7 Likes

Definitely. Clare may have to put McInerney back there. Shoulder dislocation can take 8-12 weeks. I dont think Hogan, Hayes and Flanagan will cut the mustard when teams have a chance to size them up.

Clare are fully primed for a Munster tilt as are Tipp, the loser will be brushed aside in the SFs after being bolloxed after the provincial campaign.

Bryan O’Mara in there this year at 6 has massively improved Tipp. Gearoid O’Connor yesterday was flawless on the frees too in fairness to a new player out there. I don’t think he missed one which was some going with Forde out.

Morris and Kehoe are growing into it too bigtime.

2 Likes

Bevans is the coach and is outstanding. Nice man too.

3 Likes

Very positive Cahill switched it up from Waterford days. Whatever about pace and mobility sometimes, Tipp would be the one team you’d say will always have clean striking. Play to your strengths. Waterford probably had some lads who had to play the run off the shoulder stuff.

2 Likes

Tony Kelly hardly hit a ball against Tipp mate. They are a bit of a bogey team for him. Barrett destroyed him first day out. I’d expect same to happen again. SOD wasnt up to much either. If you can avoid contact with him and he avoids contact with the ground he is a non factor. Clare backs were roasted. They also were playing at home which is worth a few points to them. In a neutral venue advantage Tipp. The latest incumbent in goal Eimear Quilligan isnt up to much either on yesterdays evidence. If they were to meet again lets just say we wouldnt be shaking in our boots.

2 Likes

Mark Kehoe was very good yesterday too. Himself and Jake Morris have been threatening to really become top class forwards for about 5 years now. A bit like Evan Niland in Galway. Starting to really deliver now.

3 Likes

It was a freak game though that doesn’t really hold up to much analysis given how much of Tipp’s scores were gifted to them by Foudy. Clare were chasing the game from the second minute and were a bit of a mess tactics due to it yet still created a huge amount of scoring opportunities despite some key players having off days and no David Fitz.

If they meet again Clare aren’t going to let Tipp continually play out from the back like they did in the second half or play as high up the field with the wind like they did that day. Tipp will no doubt fancy their chances but I wouldn’t be putting huge stock on the match in Ennis as a barometer for the two sides

7 Likes

Renowned Tipperary journalist JJ Kennedy was very critical of the managements decision to take off O’Connor in the dying minutes tonight on Radio. Thats twice now we’ve had John McGrath hitting late frees when barely on the pitch.

Never take off your freetaker especially when he was hitting them well.

3 Likes

In fairness he was probably gassed. Similar to CON coming off after going fairly well.

McGrath nailed his free too.

2 Likes

The game seems an age ago now. All told the formlines have stacked up. There is tiny margins if any between all the 4 teams. If we had Forde in last 2 games I really think we are sitting on 6 points. Clare were unbelievably good against Limerick. Scoreline flattered Limerick in the end but
I wasnt over impressed with Clare against Waterford. I wasnt overly impressed by them yesterday either. Cork got a couple of key match ups wrong and allowed Kelly freedom of the park and still could have won. Tipp know that if they keep Kelly quiet they will beat Clare and its in their wheelhouse to do that. If Limerick or Cork had a Cathal Barrett, as much as they hate the man, they would do the same.

I wouldnt read too much into Cahills prospective longevity in the job. 3 years in Waterford is a long time relatively speaking. They are talking about getting rid of Davy after only 4 months and got rid of Fanning after 9 months. You could nearly give a contract to waterford managers in trimestres. He spoke very candidly after an U21 victory a few years ago on TG4. How a few of Tipps senior players had got too comfortable and conplacent. Some of those comments were aimed at some of those lads yesterday and they have looked revitalised and loving the challenge. Anyway I think Bevans is a good antidote to Cahills perceived hard edge or brashness. They make a good duo.

5 Likes

Its great to have so many Tipp posters back interested in Munster championship hurling after years hiding behind the sofa.

23 Likes

All we’re missing is the big dog

Tipp are box office. There wouldn’t be half as many podcasts, posts or column inches if we were not back. And we are playing the way God intended hurling to be played and with 3 lads in the full forward line.

5 Likes

I don’t know if you realise this but every notable hurling county borders Tipperary. It is everything that is beautiful about hurling

5 Likes

Babs??

Sounds like a good thing to me