Munster Senior Hurling Championship 2023 (Part 1)

That’s the long and the short of it. You could point to 5 or 6 really average performances as well from cork starters y’day and still they were in there with a chance at the end. Pat Ryan has done a great job overall but keeping the likes of lehane in the mix is baffling

Have always liked Seamus Harnedy as a player and comes across as a very genuine fella as well, he was excellent again yesterday and gave everything he had.

He actually does touch it once while on the ground. Very marginal but the right call. The penalty was potentially harsh but why were his hands around his waist.

I think gillane was lucky at best for the penalty. The sort of grappling you are correct on will always be trumped by a Hurley hold. Gillane was as cute as a fox imo but the analysis shouldn’t be around this. Byrnes finished his chance with aplomb. Cork went down the field and missed an open goal. That’s the difference and not the ref imo.

1 Like

It’s a long summer :smirk: (unless you are from Cork ) .

As I said at the time, if Collins doesn’t hesitate and comes and tidied up and clears the ball away I doubt Owens blows for the penalty at all as he would have deemed that Gillane was never going to get to the second ball and was making a meal of it. But Collins comes and then stops/retreats which puts doubt into the refs mind and gave him a decision to make

The O’Mahony shot was three feet wide, it was easier to score. It would have been a shocking goal to conceded.

As I said that’s the difference. Not these marginal calls the refs make.

1 Like

Collins is a poor keeper. In fact the keeping in Munster looks particularly weak bar Nicky. He could be the difference in winning the all Ireland.

It was a stone wall pen ffs.

Limerick got next to nothing off Owens all day, he doubled down after the pen and Cork found frees a lot easier to come by. Any type of contact on their forwards and he gave it. Up the other end he was happy to wave it on.

Yesterday would have been a day for Fergal Horgan to lay down the law. Sean O’Donoghue should have got a yellow for a blatant drag on Gillane in the first half, which was one of the few scoreable frees he gave the home side in the entire game.

12 Likes

Quaid had let in a couple of very soft goals this year too which is unlike him.

1 Like

His distribution is still outstanding. Makes backs life’s so much easier.

As you pointed out Collins isn’t taking charge
Of any of those situations.

Very frustrating at times… The one not given to Tom Morrissey was infuriating.

But these things even themselves out.

Ah here, that was as close to the ground as could count, a slow mo replay was needed to tell. Pick the fucking ball up the first time you fucking bogballer.

2 Likes

The Advantage rule in hurling is terrible.

To be fair Gillane was being wrestled all day, there were plenty of incidents he didn’t get the free so swinging off him and roundabouts.
There’s a great bit of the dog in him. He was unplayable yesterday.
He was imo, clearly by a country mile MOTM.

4 Likes

From watching back on TV, there is no doubt Limerick benefitted most from Owens on the day.

Kyle Hayes should have walked in the first half for a horrible chop on Fitzgibbon.
The penalty was an absolute joke too.

2 Likes

The few games in the Desmond League stood to him.

5 Likes

That’s how it looks to me too in fairness.

I didn’t think the form could be any better today, but coming on this morning reading the fucking seethe off lads here. Jesus. It’s fucking lovely.

15 Likes