Munster Senior Hurling Championship 2023 (Part 1)

The issues stemmed from their half forward line.

They couldn’t shut down the Limerick delivery like tipp and Clare did.

I don’t think from a Limerick pov their was a massive difference from the Clare or tipps game to be honest only the half back line was completely on top.

Gillane has been roaring and screaming for the ball for the last two games but he got fuck all.

These pats on the head must be driving the carkies cracked.

2 Likes

Watching it back now myself.

First half….

Limerick were definitely under severe pressure.

The Cork wides before & after Limerick goals were momentum killers. Hail Mary stuff from Harnedy on the wing & Fitzgibbon with a stupid one too.

The Hayes swipe on Fitzgibbon was dangerous alright, very lucky. Was his second foul with the hurl.

Darragh O’Donovon is a rolls Royce of a hurler. His work rate & distribution is top class.

Cork never worked a goal chance at all. Kingston was running through early & tapped it over.
Downey was in open country too but just tapped it over too as opposed to working an opening.

Gillane is unplayable at the minute. Genuine Hall of Famer stuff

CON goal finished them. WOD pass?

Some half of hurling.

2 Likes

I hear Davy had a pop off Lohan in his post-match interview. Complaining that he’s there 5 months and is getting hassle while there’s other managers who are in charge 3 or 4 years and have won zero. Very easy to infer who that dig was aimed at. In fairness to Lohan, not having silverware doesn’t tell the story at all. He’s done a very good job overall.

2 Likes

Including knocking Davy out most years

They played it on the hurling pod. Very emotional stuff

Thurles is crumbling. Needs a serious facelift and shouldn’t be allowed hold any big capacity matches until it gets one. It would be the correct decision to play the Munster Final in Cork.

1 Like

JJ Kennedy apoplectic on yesterdays shambles in Thurles on local radio tonight.

You’d wonder how they stayed looking at Hutchinson causing wreck for so long when a fully fit Johnny Ryan who marked him in the league and did very well, was left sitting on the bench.

You’d hope Brendan Maher in his role as "Performance Coach’ in Offaly will ensure they roll over in Tullamore in a few weeks.

1 Like

Gillane is an extraordinary player, from my vantage point in the second half O’Donoghue didn’t do a whole pile wrong

He did clearly play the hurley for two of those goals, tough to defend that,

Limerick are just happy to have made the final. We’d play it on the moon if we had to.

Thurles or Pairc Ui Chaoimh are both ideal really.

about 52 minutes in

Same with Byrnes in first half.

It’s like he’s waiting on word in the ear piece as to how bad the foul is.
Are they getting word from someone watching replays on TV?

Byrnes on the penalty was a brilliant call. One of the best struck penalties that I’ve ever seen. We needed it too.

1 Like

Davy took over a team with a youngish age profile that was viewed my many as the second best in the country in 2020 and 2021 (albeit a long way off Limerick) and won a league then in 2022. He’s got a core of players there off the Waterford, Minor All Ireland winning team of 2013 and U21 winning team of 2016, players in their prime years of 27/28. He’s made an utter balls of it as pretty much everyone predicted that he would. The level of regression under Davy is alarming.

1 Like

Just on the whole “Cork are making progress” thing, they have gone from an All Ireland final, to a quarter final, to a group stage exit in successive seasons. Their two best forwards are 35 and 32. They beat a clueless Waterford team only. They limped out of the league.

All I can see in the plus column is that they maybe aren’t folding in games like they were (which is a big plus as they were windy as shit the past few years).

8 Likes

The win on Sunday is some disaster for Waterford long term If it means Davy can keep his job.

1 Like

In fairness they’ve have some very good young players coming through.

I think they’ll be sick. I wouldn’t like to meet them again. Coleman, Robbie o Flynn and Connolly are big losses as well.

1 Like

Absolutely. The feeling from anyone I’ve been talking to around Waterford today is that yesterdays win could set Waterford back 5 years. Pat Flynn will be very slow to move him on.

Waterford need rid of him ASAP. There is the makings of a good team there.

1 Like

I’d say it fairly eats at him that despite winning an A/I with Clare that every Clare fan would take Lohan over him and they wouldn’t have to spare a second thought about it even if Lohan doesn’t win silverware by the time his reign ends, his team has a far greater connection with the fans than Davy’s did even when winning the A/I in 2013

1 Like