Munster Senior Hurling Championship 2023 (Part 1)

Limerick unbeaten in championship hurling in Thurles since 2019 (which was a dead rubber with a weakened Limerick team).

We’re happy to follow the process and play wherever. An early psychological victory if Clare are fearful of the traffic in Buttevant. Hopefully the horse fair is on the same weekend to add to the gridlock.

4 Likes

There is a very obvious reason why the surface in Thurles isn’t as good as it once was….

Theres an interesting venn diagram appearing that includes clare folk that are frightened of the N20 and split season opposition. Very interesting to see. PUC makes more sense. Both PUC and Thurles are nightmares for traffic, albeit there are multiple options to drive cork, only issue is crossing the lee. Both have train stations within 15 mins walk, driving time from ennis is probably 20 mins in the difference but PUC is a fine modern stadium.

Might as well just play it in the gaelic grounds but that will give the clare crowd to moan about something. The 2 obvious options is driving the clare crowd demented yet what they want is to play in the 1970s, much like the current time period they live in.

1 Like

I’d say Clare would be happy enough to play in the Gaelic grounds

Yeah i reckon so but i can already see the tweets, limerick bias, JP bought it, but but but etc

The ground is falling apart and the town is a shithole. I’ll have a smooth 50 min journey to it with hardly any traffic but I’d happily drive further if i had to and not go to Thurles. A pure kip.

1 Like

Can someone who has paid subscription to the Examiner stick up Anthony Daly’s column from today please and thank you….

I’m not sure tbh

Thurles is overused. Simple as.
They have had the Tipp and Waterford games there. Tgey even played Down v Tipp in thst mickey mouse football competition before the Tipp - Limerick game.

Your telling me you wont get a stream of tweets from the usual suspects, while they dont represent the majority of rational people in clare they certainly are the loudest.

Name the venue and ill be there. PUC is the right choice, if not up to thurles for a few cans and sending clare back with tae in their mugs

There’s no logical reason to play it in cork.

Not if both counties agree

Both counties dont have to agree. If Munster fix it for cork or tipp or the moon the teams should be expected to play. County team managers shouldnt dictate where games are played

The only choice is Thurles. It’s the most convenient for both sets of fans.

It’s expensive enough to follow teams know with the extra games. We are in a cost of living crisis.

Thurles is the most convenient for the majority and has a slightly larger capacity I think so more folk can attend.

This small group of Limerick odd balls who want to snuggle up to cork gaa are The only crowd who want to go to cork.

1 Like

County managers pretty much dictate everything nowadays.

The capacity in Thurles has been reduced for health and safety its only around 42 or 43k now, PUC is 45k and is safer.

I dont agree with the convenience arguement. The nenagh thurles road is how a majority of supporters will drive, its barely a secondary road woth massive tailbacks . Its not fit for that volume of traffic, all other options again are back roads. Parking is a nightmare, particularly if its raining and you end up in a field. Multiple options to cork, N20 or M8 for anyone in east limerick and east clare. The mitchlestown road is better than nenagh to thurles. Buttervant isnt as bad as it once was. Probably only 10/15 minutes in driving time. Only issue in cork is if you drive over the river. Plenty of parking north of the river or go through tunnel and park the other side if coming down the M8. The Dunkettle while not completed is much better for traffic even with the road works.

Trains, probably 15 mins longer and coming from limerick still requires a change at the junction, just go to the other plateform, again not an issue.

PUC is a longer walk from the train but its no differnt from walking to GG from Limerick city. Thurles has lost a lot of good pubs over the last few year’s so not as attractive as it once was.

No point in comparing the stadium infrastructure itself there is one winner.

I dont see how thurles is more convenient at all. Its more a question on the facilities themselves.

2 Likes

So the munster council should just make the call and it should be stuck to outside of all other opinions?

They could sit down down in January and set out the location depending on the counties that are in the final.

I’m surprised they don’t do that anyway. Everyone would know Sunday evening.

If it was Limerick v cork final that was due to be fixed in the Gaelic grounds would you be happy for the game to be moved to puc because their facilities are better?

Thurles is more convenient for the majority of Clare and Limerick fans.

The fact the Munster council turned off their replies tells you everything you need to know. Fair play to Clare for sticking to their guns.

Limerick never feared driving through Buttevant

14 Likes