Munster Senior Hurling Championship 2023 (Part 1)

The AI series will be an awful anti-climax for ye this year.

1 Like

Sure yerselves and Kilkenny only starting to crank into gear now and the poor Munsters having been bating seven shades of shite out of each other

What are your thoughts on Kyle Hayes?

Played minor AI in 2016
U21 AI 2017
Senior AI in 18, 20, 21, 22, 23

6 finals in 7 years.

Plus won a club minor county 2016, club intermediate hurling in 2017, club junior football in 2018, Premier Intermediate hurling 2020.

Young Hurler of the Year, 3 All Stars… He’s still only 24

5 Likes

You’d nearly go

Hayes
Hego
TK

On that viewing.

So long as we get a chance to slap ye around the place again it will be entertaining enough

1 Like

Ah jaysus mate you couldn’t leave out Lynch in that case

Harty in 11,14
Munster minor medals in 13,14
Fitzgibbons in 16 and 17
All Ireland U21 and minor in 15 and 17
National Leagues in 19,20 and 23
Munster medals in 19,20,21,22
All Ireland Seniors in 18,20,21,22

club counties in 16 and 19

2 time HOTY and 3 time All star.

Fucking hell. That’s genuine Hall of Fame pedigree
Lynch/Hayes
Hego
TK

5 Likes

All of that just reminded me that there are still 4 lads on the panel who have Munster medals from 2013.

2 Likes

Who is the fourth?

Hannon, Mul, Quaid and ?

reidy i’d guess

1 Like

Reidy, surprisingly enough.

1 Like

@peddlerscross has been typing for around 10 mins. Some clamping

I was in Thurles for Kyle Hayes Senior debut against Clare in 2017 and in the first 25 minutes I’ll honestly admit I thought he was absolutely useless. He did get into it though and even scored a goal I think from full forward. He was good at CB for the Limerick U21’s that year but was getting a bit of an armchair ride on a totally dominant team so I didn’t really buy into him then either.

In 2018 I saw him first for the Limerick U21’s against Tipp in Thurles and he wasn’t up to much. Should have been sent off in the same game and his attitude along with some of his teammates was poor as an average Tipp team sent Limerick home with tea in their mugs, He was the one shining light alright in the Senior AI Final and ended up with MOTM.

My next time seeing him in the flesh was in the 2019 Munster Final when he was very good alright and was starting to go up in my estimation. His goal was very well taken that day. However 4 weeks later, he didn’t seem to know where he was playing when Limerick couldn’t figure out how to beat the worst Kilkenny team in 30 years in Croke Park. He seemed to be messing around as some sort of double centre back, when Limerick needed him up the field.

In the 2020 championship he did go back wing back and himself and Nash formed a lovely dovetail partnership creating overlaps down the left hand side of the field.

The 2021 Munster Final goal was obviously fairly special and I saw him up close in the semi final that year against Waterford and I will say I was impressed with what a big, physical speciman he had become. The final that year was a bit of a write off but i think he may have played a key role in some of Limerick’s goals again creating overlaps?

In 2022 he walked in another goal v Cork in Round 1 from FF and had a good year in the forwards overall. Did his bit to good effect in the semi final and final.

In Thurles last week, i thought he didn’t want to be there in the first half. In the second half he obviously came into it big time, but I was surprised he didn’t try to bomb on forward a bit more seeing as he had open country in front of him and half the Tipp team don’t like running.

Overall he is an athlete first and a hurler second. Athletically he’s probably in the top 3 I’ve ever seen but as a pure hurler, I wouldn’t rate him a patch on Hannon or several others on that Limerick team. If Limerick needed one man to get a levelling score from 85m with the last puck of the game, outside of WOD/Mike Casey/Dan Morrissey, he’s the last man you’d want to see taking the shot.

2 Likes

As one of the leading Independent Hurling voices on the forum, I was asked for my opinion on something so I felt it my duty to reply with a well considered post.

It will be interesting to see how @thelimericks respond to some balanced analysis of one of their players.

1 Like

Independent and balanced can be argued for any opinion outside of discussing Limerick, your seething comes through on every post about Limerick and for all to see.

As a leading voice, your a gas cunt, an echo chamber for every opinion whether its the split season, handpass rule or Physicality in the game while completing ignoring the scurage of simulation creepimg into hurling. Savage amount of Clare and Tipp players takimg off their helmets whenever they hit the ground is one example. At least the Cork players stood up last week, i say only once or twice the helmets came off for genuine injuries.

1 Like

Reidy was the 27th man in 2013. Done the warm up.

1 Like

Who’s left from the 2013 Clare win? Kelly, o Donnell, Conlon, mcinerney and who else?

Hard to believe what happened the likes of Podge Collins, Conor McGrath, Colm galvin amd a few more.

Morey too I’d say.

Duggan

Flanagan?

Who would have thought that team would only win one all ireland.

1 Like