Munster Senior Hurling Championship 2023 (Part 1)

Paul Kinnerk

6 Likes

Just shows you too you have to seize the opportunity when it presents itself. You mightn’t get a second chance.

1 Like

David Mc, SOD, Kelly and Conlon were starters

Duggan and Morey on the panel. Think Paul Flanagan was on the extended panel too.

Eh, I barely ever talk about the handpass rule and regarding physicality, you’d want to be blind not to see the game has become far, far more dangerous in the last couple of years. A Tipp player has spent the week in hospital with a punctured lung following a tackle last week. When does someone shout stop on some of the ‘hits’ going in lately?

On simulation, I never mention it, because I would be very, very reluctant to accuse any I/C player of diving. They are tough by their nature, so when they go down, I genuinely believe 9 times out of 10 they are injured.

You will note I stood up for Nicky Quaid last week when he took the knee vs Tipp.

2 Likes

If my memory serves me right 8 of the Limerick panel played Galway in the minor semi final before the Clare
2013 semi final.

English
Casey
Finn
Nash
DOD
T Morrissey
Cian Lynch
Seamus Flanagan.

You’d have had Colin Ryan, pat Ryan, ronan lynch and AlTC, David Dempsey and maybe one or two more who saw action under kiely too playing that day.

Barry Nash (you have him) apologies

Flanagan came on I’d say he was only 15. His older brother Sean was starting. He was a tough nut.

Always taught Sean would get a look in at Senior level in the corner. Got struck down with a pretty severe illness a couple of years ago that affected him badly. All good now though, thankfully.

4 Likes

they didn’t lick it off a plate

1 Like

I’ve heard lick it off a stone, I have never heard lick it off a plate.

I don’t care

How adorable.

Yep you are the very same as myself. I always had him earmarked as a corner back. He’d have very everything Kiely would want in a player.

I just looked at the team there. Mad in 2013 eoghan Mc was sub goalie for minors. By 2015 he was starting for the 21s and it seemed only a matter of time before he’d replace quaid.

Did Sean go in with the footballers for a while?

Some haul off of one minor team and no one would have believed you if you were told back then that 8 of the team would go onto be multiple All Ireland winners and Ronan Lynch wouldn’t be one of them.

6 Likes

A once in a lifetime team in fairness

2 Likes

Incredible and it’s not like they won a minor all Ireland and a few were only bit part players on 21s teams.

They were involved in a few classics in 2013. Games going to replays and what not.

Just shows you players develop at different times.

1 Like

Robbed the same day too

1 Like

Galway: C Tuohy; M Ó Conghaile, D O’Donoghue, M Conneely; S Linnane, S Cooney, R Doyle; E Burke (0-01), D Dolan (0-01); C Whelan (0-04), R O’Meara, A Morrissey (0-03); B Molloy (0-09, 4f, 2 65’), B Burke (0-02), C Shaughnessy (0-01).

Subs: J Hastings for R O’Meara (37), V Doyle for R Doyle (52), E Brannigan (0-01) for D Dolan (56), R O’Meara (0-01) for B Burke (70), R Bellew for M Conneely (72), D Dolan for A Morrissey (78).

That’s the Galway team from 2013. Conor whelan the star man but how many played senior for Galway?

I didn’t realise Enoch Burke hurled.

1 Like

Linnane and Cooney?