Munster Senior Hurling Championship 2023 (Part 1)

Yes it does, there is a much longer post to be written about it some time. During the winter maybe

Is the trend of West Clare footballing types playing for Ballyea a relatively new phenomenon, or would they always historically have been the team they gravitate towards for hurling?

Colin Lynch is from Lissycasey. He played with Kilmaley. They get players from that side.

Inagh would also get a good few.

Ballyea have obviously benefited, ironically enough they would have lost players to Clarecastle before.

@Big_Dan_Campbell would know more.

It’s a new phenomenon and is directly related to playing with Kelly and the rest of the 1992/3/4 generation including Jack Browne and Paul Flanagan. The quirk is they have taken in the next generation since 2016 and have a large player base underage. More power to the them even if the pick is enormous and effectively the entirety of west Clare. That being said Clondegad was the football side of Ballyea so there has always been a history of isolated players playing for Ballyea. Kilmaley and I/K would have benefited more historically but Eire og had plenty too going back in time.

If the ballyea hurling team was entered into the football championship they would win the all Ireland.

Lynch actually hurled for Eire Og when he broke through.

Isolated players are fairly common in Clare. A good skelp of the isolated Ballyea lads would have hurled underage for them as opposed to transferring in from other/smaller clubs so they did develop them.

Once you pass Ennis to the west there isn’t much aside from Kilmaley or Inamona. Ennistymon would have a junior hurling team but not much else.

While there is very few serious football teams to the east. Cratloe just happened on a generation of duel players aside from that east Clare is a wasteland for the big ball.

2 Likes

Did Dalo have some idea of creating new club to cater for West Clare players but it didn’t get the required support to get off the ground?

Tones were handy for a time but that’s long gone

There have been clubs before like Clonbunny which is Kilkee/Loop head but it’s a lot easier driving in the road to one of three established senior hurling teams

True. Be very hard to get a motion like that over the line in any case. Like asking turkeys vote for Christmas.

What’s the youngest club in Clare, Banner?

And who would the likes of Brennan & Lillis have hurled for underage? Would theey have played with Ballyea all the way up or would some of those football clubs have underage hurling even?

Brennan is from Ballyea parish. Clonegad is their sister club for football.

The likes of Lillis and Martin O’Leary are cooraclare and played all the way up with ballyea I’m fairly sure

1 Like

O’Leary is Kilmihl. They amalgamated with Ballyea underage at certain times and eventually effectively folded the hurling side into Ballyea

Cathal O’Connor hurled for Eire og before chopping it in at 16/minor. No connection to Ballyea at all but starts for them now

Kilmihl are the only football club that had a hurling team I think. Those lads all play for Ballyea now. Lillis played for Ballyea underage I believe and Brennan definitely did but might not have played any U21 before returning to the fold. Ballyea were togging 40 lads for junior A last year at times

He was talking about it on the Pod. Still fairly sore about it.

That’s Dalo.

The board had a vote and came across as a bunch of miserable bastards tbh

As is the case with pretty much every comm-itt-ee up and down the country since time began. Progressive ideas will always flounder when people who know no better are in charge.

1 Like

Was always known as the Caherdavin End when I was growing up.

1 Like

Used be a sign there saying Clareview Terrace but we’ll gone now.

1 Like