Munster Senior Hurling Championship 2023 (Part 1)

2 Likes

It’s been a very heavy fortnight work-wise, so I haven’t posted much in the build-up to this game.

Again, it is a battle of the proven against the largely unproven. Clare’s failure to get over the line, bar the round-robin encounter, in any game of true importance over the last number of years still hangs over them. Can they do so tomorrow? They have the tools, certainly, but do they have the nous needed to slay the Green Monster?

Naming Conor Cleary sends a signal that they don’t have faith in their bench. If it indeed was, as reported, a dislocated shoulder. That’s a nasty and painful injury and it is inconceivable that he would recover in a fortnight. It could, of course, be a bluff on a couple of fronts…

A cold analysis of the round-robin game suggests that Clare absolutely emptied themselves to beat a Limerick team with no more than 4 or 5 players playing at their usual levels by a single point. Limerick have shown steady, if unspectacular, improvement in every subsequent game and I expect they’ll be a couple of notches higher tomorrow.

The battle around the middle will be key. Whoever wins here will win the game. I expect Clare will despatch TK out around this area to pick up breaks. It just leaves them a bit thinner beyond that and they lack the likes of a Gillane, Flanagan etc who can profit when man-marked in an acre of space. That said, Mike Casey needs to be a little closer his opponent on direct ball. He’s been playing a little too far behind his man and Rodgers could profit if he’s getting decent ball in front of him.

Tomorrow will be feral and I hope, but doubt, that Liam Gordon has the temperament for it. It’s noticeable that both Brian Gavin and John Fogarty on TV last night referenced him. That brings a pressure of it’s own. He has the potential to be brutal for both sides and I hope that isn’t the case.

7 Likes

Whilst that is fair I’d argue that Tipp were in the same boat after numerous losses to KK before eventually turning them over.

Limerick like Kilkenny won’t go away easily & Tipp in 2010 faced a KK depleted side ( perhaps similar in your argument that only 5 LK hurlers performed last day out ) but Tipp had belief & huge hunger.
Clare definitely have the belief & enough hunger so now it’s down to performing.

It appears to me that outside of the FB issue they are right where they need to be.
They have options offensively to call from the bench so if they can keep Gillane / Flanagan somewhat subdued then their chance is massive.

Limerick are rightfully favourites, they have the pedigree, talent & experience.

Do they lack the freshness & hunger though?

1 Like

Hunger is absolutely a great sauce and I’ve no doubt that Clare won’t be found wanting in that department tomorrow. It’s been a typical Clare build-up to a big final - A notable injury concern, a cause to be embraced (the venue), ticketing issues, etc. Everything is laid out for them.

I just think that if both teams turn up and play to their absolute peak Limerick will win.

1 Like

This’ll get the blood pumping!!

3 Likes

Elverys absolutely cleaning up here in Ennis, replica jerseys flying out

Bide your time, there’ll be 50% off Monday

23 Likes

I enjoyed it. Love Tommy. Worked with him with Roscommon Hurlers. Such a nice fella

When Gillane is finished with The Clare full back line, they’ll be giving them away for free

2 Likes

Tomorrows game is going be ferociously physical. I absolutely cannot wait. My only fear ahead of this Munster final is the ref making a bollix of it.

Hopefully he keeps the whistle in his pocket and follows Keenan from last year. Let the game go and may the best team win.

4 Likes

As my father used to say, just throw in the ball and let them at it.

3 Likes

I find the narratives around Clare from thelimericks fascinating. Last year after the round robin draw we were told that the cold analysis was that it was Clare’s all Ireland and sure limerick weren’t too pushed having already qualified and the Munster final would be academic.

The Munster final was this Herculean effort from Clare and they played well above themselves according to thelimericks cold analytics - despite 6 or 7 of the Clare starting team making little impact on the day.

Now the cold analysis is that Clare emptied themselves to beat limerick in the round robin despite there being little to back that up. Maybe it was as much to do with two lads who were cleaned in the Munster final having solid games and three new players being better hurlers than the lads they replaced for Clare and clare being sore after fucking away a match 6 days earlier while Limerick took a step back from their lofty standards . It was a one point on the scoreboard but far from a one point game on the pitch - 1-18 to 2-8 from play and a consolation goal late in injury time if you want to do cold hard analysis.

Limerick are rightly favourites and like you say if they perform to their peak they will win. But what is their peak and when was the last time they got close to it? 2021 final? They haven’t buried too many teams since, they are probably still the best team in the country all things being equal but clare are in a better position than they were this time 12 months ago - are limerick?

5 Likes

Youre right, no hammering handed out since ending corkness. Hopefully tomorrow we can deliver in spades and lock the gates

He was spot on.

We’re without lynch and Finn, so I’d say our performance ceiling is the all Ireland final performance last year. Pretty comparable in terms of personnel. Hegarty put in the greatest individual performance in an all Ireland ever that day and he’s nowhere near that currently. A couple more might be a bit short of where they were that day too. So it should be apparent enough where our ceiling is currently.

1 Like

Flanagan and Gillane are going to get goals. Hego’s 2nd half performance vs Cork the last day was very pleasing. I can see him driving on now.

1 Like
2 Likes

Interesting to see how Clearys shoulder holds up.cause i presume he will do his usual bear hug routine for 70 mins.i think Clare will win.they were bullish about beating limerick in their own back yard twice.so I’m going with them.this is the second game of the trilogy I believe.

If he did dislocate it. Its hard to see him starting. He couldn’t be right surely.

Most battle hardened & experienced alright