Munster Senior Hurling Championship 2023 (Part 1)

Clare got plenty of soft frees in that game. You cant be cribbing too much about that, particularly when you continually watch your corner back being cleaned out and your forwards hitting stupid shots and wides.

In saying that, it was an absolute stone wall of a free, not once, but twice, but Clare shouldnt have needed a free long over injury time, to try salvage a draw

13 Likes

I didn’t think it was as obvious as that looking at it live, but we fucked away enough chances outside of that in any case.

1 Like

mrw GIF

cc @carryharry

2 Likes

playing in Limerick was the right call , massive clare support

2 Likes

Absolutely

1 Like

It was blatant from where i was sitting but he lost it. Time was up with the puck out but he wouldn’t blow because of the confusion/pitch invasion

He was entitled to add on a bit more because of that I’d have thought, but you generally had to earn your frees today.
Comical scenes then in front of the Ard Comhairle with Spike exchanging jostles with a Clare/Munster official

Shur look it, these things even out over the course of a season

2 Likes

I didn’t notice that. Spike must be going out swinging

There was a few lads gone bald-headed for him as if he had Gordon’s whistle in his pocket

Limerick hurled at 70% of their ability in reality, only Gillane really lit it up.

Clare will say that a few of their key men were quiet too in Kelly & Duggan but it was the inability to contain Gillane that really will stick in the graw tonight.

Maybe Lohan isn’t able to read it in the height of battle.

Can’t fault his teams attitude and fight.

Kiely & Kinnerk must be delighted. They are in the box seat and only really hurling in spots.

I noticed him probably after that over celebrating. That’s probably why

Lohan started Fitzpatrick last year in Croke Park which backfired spectacularly.

He must be very stubbon which can be both a huge positive and negative.

Whatever about Nolan it was ultimately the missed chances that killed them. Freetaking was a big issue. TK having an off day and McCarthy wasnt up to much. Taylor could have had two tap over points just before half time which were bad, bad misses.

1 Like

The frees were poor but imo you can’t be happy keeping Mulcahy & Flanagan quiet whilst Gillane has free reign to beat you solo.

Now the best in the business will struggle with Gillane but you need to change it when it’s glaringly obvious the marker is out of ideas

Red rode Limerick rotten in the first half I thought and then came out in the second half and gave us 4 softish frees in a row.
He should have given a free at the end. But a few Clare lads had gone fishing for the frees before the actual foul and maybe he was thinking they were all fishing. The game was over when the fans invaded and he added another minute then because of it. So I’d say he was reluctant to make the draw.
The fella on Gillane should have been booked in the first minute after he hauled him down. But got away with it and was booked later. So swings and roundabouts.
Mike Casey got a yellow for fuck all. And Hego was cleaved before he hit your man but only Hego got the yellow.

Clare had 5 great chances for points in the last few minutes and fluffed all of them. If they are looking for something to blame they can look at that.

They were savage unlucky to be fair. I can imagine they are sick. And if the last passage of play had gone like that against Limerick I would be outraged as well.

11 Likes

Lohan let himself down here.

1 Like

I didn’t think he was gone overtime tbh. He allowed 4 mins and then Quaid took an age with the last puckout, as any keeper would.

Thought the ref was very good all throughout tbh. Clare entitled to be aggrieved that Kelly didn’t get a free at the end alright

I genuinely think Liam Gordon had a decent game. He tried to let the game flow and he also tried to use the advantage rule as well as he could.

Lot of Limerick fans were raging at him for the Hego yellow card. That was a call from his umpires though.

In my opinion he had a good game overall.

6 Likes

He was pretty consistent. Hegarty yellow was v harsh considering the flaking he got on the way in.

2 Likes

All of ballysteen here yet no sign of you and treaty