Munster Senior Hurling Championship 2023 (Part 1)

At about 12.50pm today i got a mad rush of blood to the head and decided to abandon my principles and take in some Split season, Round Robin blitz type hurling. Ennis was out of the question due to the timing of it, so i pointed the car for Thurles.

My God where do you start with it? I think the GAA are playing 4D chess with us and have realised the hurling is shit, so they’ll get the officials to jizz the thing up a bit. I had previously thought Liam Gordon was a generally inoffensive, okish ref, but that was Diarmuid Kirwan 2009 levels of incompetence today.

Control was lost when he allowed the Limerick goal stand with Tadhg De Burca riding around the ground in the pain. He might have salvaged the situation if he sent off Dessie Hutchinson (the game would have been effectively over then and probably fizzled out ) but from then on it was open season and just got worse for the officials.

Flanagan… I mean ffs. Not his first rodeo and there was no mitigation there. He wasn’t even looking at the ball. Nasty business.

What can you even say about Hegarty? Awful “tackle” which should have been a straight red and made a show of himself afterwards. Nash (who is the best player they have by a mile) could and should have walked too. They could easily have finished with 12.

Dessie could have walked too possibly and Kyle Hayes may well have picked up a harsh yellow (Mikey Kiely was trying to stop his run off the ball from what i could see) but Limerick by and large benefitted hugely from the referee today. Even the yellow for Mark Fitzgerald was an absolute joke. It was barely even a free. They got a penalty that was a blatant square ball and Waterford had a point disallowed rather bizarrely too.

Limerick’s hurling isnt that good either. Thats three times I’ve seen them in the flesh in the past 12 months and I’ve been really underwhelmed each time. They needed the bell on each occasion v Galway and Kilkenny last year and again today. Talks of them being on the same level as Kilkenny or Tipp in the 2009-2016 period is cloud cuckoo land stuff. Barry Nash is an absolutely brilliant player though and you’d go to war with the Morrissey’s and Byrnes.

Waterford really out-Waterford themselves today. Completely overthought it early on and only when they decomplicated things did they realise they were every bit as good as the Limerick’s. Dominated in most areas (Calum Lyons was unreal) but some of the misses were unforgivable. Bennetts free and some of Dessie’s wides being the most obvious ones.

If they’d brought on Patrick Fitzgerald 10 minutes earlier they’d probably have won.

Anyhow i got away quick after the match and was home for 4.02pm. Tipp were already 1-03 to no score up when i parked up my car, so i proceeded to my evenings work safe in the knowledge, business was being taken care of in Ennis.

6 Likes

Bossman. I’m very disappointed that a Tipp man would go to another Munster championship game and not go see their own county :man_shrugging:

Sean Ryan with 1-1 today. He has an eye for goal. I expected if Tipp stayed in championship, he’d see a bit of time as the summer went on, but wasn’t sure he’d be sprung today.

He could of killed Hego with that push.

12 Likes

When you have a Dairy Farm at home, a 2pm throw in, in Thurles is logistically a lot easier than 4pm in Ennis.

4 Likes

I appreciate that also.

1 Like

Life might be a little tougher after Fergal’s retirement

Stephen Bennett shouldn’t have been on the field after the hit he took and the free he missed was the hall marks of a fella suffering a head injury too.

If it was June or July you might get away with it but thanks to the split season the Munster Hurling Championship is clashing with the busiest time of the year for farmers.

Sure he missed an All Ireland Final to go up to Dublin to take photos of Henry Shefflin

That was a painful watch. Complete implosion at the back. Some positives like AMcC but we are in big trouble now.

The GAA have a massive ignorance towards head injuries.

Did someone really say the Tipp team of recent decade was as good as KK and better than Limerick??

1 Like

Limerick were determined to inflict an injury on him all day. I wonder is there bad blood there?

I was in a hotel room in Valencia grabbing some kip and nursing a sore throat.

Tipp have won some memorable under 21 finals in Ennis too.

Tipp are the only county to win in Ennis in this format and now they’ve done it twice.

The number thing in the column of “positives” with this format is that Ennis gets games. It’s the perfect venue for such a format. Three of the five venues are too big, one is too small. Ennis, with an 18-20k capacity or whatever it is, is like the third bowl of porridge, it’s just right.

4 Likes

Was that the day after Liverpool won the 2019 Champions League? That explains why I can’t remember it so. We watched Limerick demolish Waterford in Walsh Park in an Irish bar and then headed off to the victory parade.

1 Like

Didn’t he go to college in UL? You’d imagine he’d be pally with the Limerick lads from that. Part of the 2015 Fitzgibbon winning team.

Yes. I got a red eye train back from Madrid after getting about four hours of shut eye in a sweaty hostel. After some more kip I listened to the latter stages of Cavan v Armagh while walking down past Santiago Calatrava’s egg.

A lovely city.

I would not think so. They just hit and hit hard. Mostly in the rules. Today on at least 4 occasions they mistimed them.

When I saw it I could only think of Andy Robertson. Hoping both are ok