Munster Senior Hurling Championship 2024

capacity of walsh park?

I think it’s about 13k this year and will go up another few thousand next year.

Nicky loves Limerick, modern day hurling, and the current format of the Munster Championship.

3 Likes

Nicky predicted in January 2018 that Limerick would win the All Ireland that year. His big argument was that they probably had the best hurler in the country in Cian Lynch. Nobody else was tipping Limerick at that stage.

6 Likes

Maybe I’m wrong but I rate him as a better manager than Sheedy

Two really good managers. Both left on their own terms. Would have been grand to have had an auld principal or teacher like Cody or Kiely (but not BDE :rofl::rofl::rofl:) that would stay on for years

2 Likes

Nicky is a drinking companion of Kieran McManus and even had him as a selector with the UCD Fitzgibbon panel for a few years.

The UCD Bus had to pull up and collect him from his Ailesbury Road house before a match one day.

Nicky is a great hurling man.

4 Likes

I’d a few dealings with Nicky many years ago, and got on very well with him. Without realising, he paid me a fierce compliment one day in front of my auld lad. He subsequently called me a hippy when I met him the following year as I was needing a haircut. In fairness, we both had a fair share of pints that night (in the Burlington, either in 2009 or 10)

4 Likes

Does Nicky live in the area also? I saw him in O’Brien’s on Leeson Street a couple of times though that was years ago.

Booterstown.

1 Like

A very fair and knowledgeable pundit, would have been some player in the modern era, he got some :axe: treatment in his day.

2 Likes

Cullen was a football stronghold too wasnt it.

Absolutely. I don’t think he played club hurling until u14 or something like that?

2 Likes

Edit: 12 before he hurled.

A friend sent me on this. He has a copy of his long out-of-print book with FOTF Vincent Hogan, which he is due to pass on to me.

1 Like

It’s a soccer stronghold now. They’d be the smaller part of Lattin/Cullen and have really given up especially when they joined up with Aherlow.

They won a county intermediate hurling title in the late 90s but didn’t last long once Nicky finished up.

Paddy Kelly always said no one practiced as much hurling as Nicky did in the Abbey.

1 Like

And Emly is also a gaa wasteland

2 Likes

Junior A hurling, no football?

Most of the clubs around Tipperary town have went downhill in the last 15/20 years with smaller families, emigration and rural depopulation damaging them.
Emly top that list, now operating as a mid table junior B side.

Junior A football, Junior B hurling.

Poor at both levels.