Munster Senior Hurling Championship 2024

I think it’s a blood group.

2 Likes

What were tipp like in the early 80s? Before my time but from reading and hearing about hurling back then I can’t recall any notable names.

Eamon O Shea, Pat Fitzelle and an aging Noel O Dwyer were their star men from what I can recall, Nicky started in 82 ish Bobby Ryan around the same time.

2 Likes

Nicky was the main man before the famine ended in 87. He got a few all stars then. Tipp won and under 21 three in a row in the late 70s/early 80s. A lot of that team were jettisoned in without success. Pat Fox would’ve been one playing corner back and then midfield. He was then dropped before Babs brought him back as a corner forward.

1 Like

Sure look tipp were shit before, they are in a bad patch now, the way fellas are going on here they’ll never win another. Same for the carkies, the thing is they will win again in the newr future. My point of view the longer the better but thats not a reality either

Snigger

To be fair, that is nonsense.

Hurling is a brilliant game when two teams have the balls to go out and play. When one team decides to sit off and not engage, it will lack intensity for sure. That will lead to a shit game but that was always the way.

As for the throwing thing, personally I’d have no issue with changing the handpass rule. But pretty much every single time those so-called throws are slowed down and looked at in detail, they are proven not to be throws. Which means that the refs are reffing it correctly. It might not be in the spirit of the rule and perhaps the rule should be changed but that’s the argument people need to make, because the other one just looks like whiny hysteria.

I think the one about handpassing off the hurley only is worth a go. I think it would lead to way more rucks but, look, I have no real issue with that. I would agree that there is more skill involved in winning a dirty ball from a ruck than there is in handpassing to a man in space (although teams do fuck that up a lot).

But even if the handpass rule is changed, the possession game is here to stay forever. And if teams sit off one another, matches will lack intensity.

1 Like

Would the game really be worse if the Handpass was done away with?

https://twitter.com/MunsterGAA/status/1785602791190216838?t=4Mdbt9dqJMjQ_7XAbhI_AQ&s=19

What if the handpass had to meet or exceed a certain distance?

‘Experiene the unforgettable’ lads! Id say most tippos are only dying to forget this year…

I don’t think so but I probably wouldn’t do away with it in its entirety (if solely for the reason, what do you do if you have the hurley ripped from your hand, which can happen).

Spectacle-wise, I do think it would lead to more rucks. Some people don’t like them, think they are an eyesore. But they are a contest for possession which people also want.

It may encourage teams not to carry the ball from deep as much anymore, which will suit slower teams. And may reward teams who press very high up the pitch which is generally good to see.

The rule is a clear striking action, it is the player’s responsibility to show this action. At the moment at least 70% of hand passes do not show this.

WOD, Lynch, Finn etc etc foul the ball on every occasion which assists the awful possession based hurling we currently see. Then we have cases where 1 in every 20 hand pass is penalised. Even chief limerick supporter Michael Duignan confessed GOC was hard done by last weekend after limerick had thrown the ball systematically the previous 68 minutes.

The problem lies with modern day coaches who have used this as a mechanism, the media who champion it and the referees who won’t police it.

The whole thing is a cod.

Limerick would win it anyway but their policy of dropping 11 men insure their 65 then going, throw, throw, steps, throw before a delivery is absolutely cat.

Player responsibility is not mentioned in the rulebook. What if he has his back to the ref? Is the player meant to turn sideways before he handpasses?

The ref can’t give the free unless he clearly sees a throw.

3 Likes

Look, we know he can’t give a throw if his back is to the ref but the majority of throws are visible to refs.

Whole thing is a cod.

I agree the rule needs to be changed but it’s very hard for refs to tell for sure on a lot of them. The consequences for a ref for blowing a throw that was actually a handpass are far higher than the other way around. Human nature at work here.

If they blow the first one for either team then it sorts it straight away.

Id be no fan of Limerick but the Tipp lads here meltdown is hillarious. Stating that some of the Limerick lads can’t hurl. Id take any of them for my club in a heartbeat.

2 Likes

You should go into schools, hospitals, nursing homes and respite houses in Limerick and speak for half an hour, give everyone a lift.

9 Likes

Poor auld @peddlerscross has been getting this Limerick team wrong for close to 6 years. He’s a great hurling judge, and i enjoy his posts but like a lot of Tipperary people, they’ve taken the rise of Limerick hurling and corresponding decline of Tipperary very badly.

Fundamentally useless.

9 Likes