Munster Senior Hurling Championship 2024

Have we got a @Joe_Player memorial prediction league this year?

Clare to beat Limerick without Tony Kelly.

As the lads have said, very very quiet around the place. Not much build up locally at all. You’d barely know they were out playing. this weekend.
If Davy goes with the novel approach of playing a few forwards we might surprise Cork. He seems more intent on keeping the games low scoring and close if we can, so he plays about 11 or 12 backs and midfielders and 3 forwards. The forwards usually play around 30 to 40 yards out from goal. Unless it’s Michael Kiely who roots around inside with two lads on him.

2 Likes

I’m worried. I think this is a tougher game for Cork than people are making out.

Waterford have TDB, Prunty, Bennett, Hutchinson all back fit. They just can’t be as bad as last year despite fairly unattractive tactics.

Zero expectation, at home, backs to the wall with both teams coming in cold. Win this and they have a shot at qualification against Tipp in two weeks - again at home and after a week’s rest in between.

From the rumoured Cork team that have been playing challenge games recently, I think Waterford have every chance.

3 Likes

What’s the rumoured team?

I was largely unimpressed with Ryan’s team selections during the league.

As I’ve said before, I think Waterford have some very decent players and I think have as much raw material as anyone outside of Limerick. I don’t rate Davy at all tactically but he can, on occasion, get his teams to produce big performances with a siege mentality. Particularly if the other team aren’t at the races for whatever reason.

They are primed for an ambush down there. Nothing expected of them.

1 Like

An exceptional memoir :clap:

2 Likes

It most certaintly wasn’t Timmy Kelleher. Wasnt their some sort of talk of legal action at the time of the publication of the book. Upstairs in Planet Hollywood in Blackpool there used a number of cut outs of articles up on the wall strongly defending the player in question, I assume the player in question had some sort of ownership in the joint.

In West Tipp a lot of those teams that were senior football and hurling would have been backboned by sets of brothers who you could build a team around. Anacarthy would have had the O Briens and Foxs , Galtee with the Morrisseys Pa and Colin with the auld lad Paddy keeping a close eye on proceedings, Aherlow footballers had the Peters and Leonards. In more recent memory the Grogans. Rockwell had a few Halleys. I saw Emly mentioned they had Pat and Eoin Buckley. Latin Cullen - The Hanleys. All serious intercounty players in their own right. Rural depopulation is an issue and outward migration from these areas. But family sizes have shrunk massively in intervening years. Rare enough these days you’d see a young family with 4 or 5 brothers. In the Halycon days one of these families would keep a club going on their own.

8 Likes

Ok Timmy.

6 Likes

Timmy is now principal of St Michaels.

1 Like

The incident referenced in the book happened well before TK played with Cork.

And the O’Shea’s

2 Likes

Listened to the examiner podcast and although it’s the usual pub talk, TJ Ryan gives us some good insights:

Limerick: DOD and Adam English injured. Kyle Hayes is 50/50. He could see Lynch at 9 with one of Hayes or Cathal o Neill at 11.

Wasn’t as forthcoming about Dan Morrissey/Casey/Finn.

Waterford: vibes better in the camp after their training camp. Going to play more orthodox with Dessie & Kiely inside. Of their 4/5 main injuries, most are fit or close to ready. Expecting a huge improvement on league play although it wouldn’t be easy.

Cork: played Galway in a challenge recently in UL. It was hinted they won but Galway not at 100% full strength. Horgan meant to be very poor. Debate about whether Coleman starts as a sweeper/4 or wing back or midfield.
Darragh fitzgibbon fit and an option at 10 as Declan Dalton is out.

Galway: as per James Skehill, Johnny Glynn is back as another option.

Dublin: Good vibes from Dalo. Donal Burke and Eoghan o Donnell back.

Limerick injuries are all fine. Will be a powerful squad

1 Like

Hayes is back running

What match was it?

tbh I havent read the book inyears but NK goes into the incident in detail, aside from naming the player. The Cork player involved finished up in 87 so sometime early/mid 80s.

Are Clonoulty still playing a West Tipp selection in West Tipp final?