Munster Senior Hurling Championship 2024

I did think the Waterford penalty was very soft but at least I can see how it was given. Owens was blindsided and the Tipp defender did fall on top of Kiely. I don’t think it was a penalty but I can understand how it may have looked like one from a certain angle.

He was similarly conned by Tynan at the end for the leveller.

But I can’t understand how a referee can run across a keeper’s eyeline for a penalty and not call for a retake.

Watching too much baseball. Willum has a great fast ball, over 100 mph.

No one champions that kind of thing.

Owens would have booked them both.

The one thing I’d say about the first penalty call was the ball did end up in the net, but I’m presuming that was after he’d blown?

Anyway, Owens can fuck off for himself one way or the other. I don’t think a ref intentionally goes out to make bad decisions but he had a horror show.

His form is hugely disappointing and it appears Fitzgibbon form isn’t stacking up at all as GOC is hurling poorly too.

The Tipp ‘penalty incident’ wasn’t clearcut at all. Defender was being fouled to at least the same degree as the forward. And as Bubbles pointed out Owens was a lot further away from it than for the Waterford one.

Regardless of abuse or sideline antics it looks like Owens will have to get an extended break now.

Top brass can’t ignore some of issue’s yesterday, the penalty being case in point. You can argue decisions but running across the goalmouth whilst the penalty is being taken is just indefensible

2 Likes

I’d agree.

Personally I’d be thinking Keohe needs to be stronger and either win the battle or be clearly fouled.

Tipp culture of blaming everyone else.

Unreal.

1 Like

Not blaming everyone else. Just one person. The referee - who fucked us al day yesterday. Before that we were blaming ourselves all week. Waterford seem to get bogus penalties in the same manner Rangers get penalties at Ibrox. Neither were penalties in the last 2 games. Referees must be scared shitless of Davy.

There you go.

I thought GOC played well enough yesterday. You’d like to see him more involved, definitely, but he did well when he did have it.

Actually thought Kehoe played very well. His decision-making lets him down, probably cost himself 1-1 through bad decisions but he never stopped showing for the ball and did brilliantly to create the goal chance.

1 Like

He has been making disgraceful decisions for years. Didn’t he give a penalty to tipperary against Clare in the championship for a tackle at the 20m flag? He should have been struck off after that for being a moron.

Kehoe was our best forward yesterday. He didn’t go hiding at any stage. Aside from his scores he’d an involvement in a good few other scores.

I’m not sure on GO’C yet, tbh. He’s not the type of fella that would have made a Tipp team a few years ago, but it’s a very different situation now obviously. You’d hope things would improve for him.

Kennelly is a fine prospect, and I thought it was the best John McGrath cameo in a while. Both will be pushing hard for a place the next day out as I don’t think even Cahill is ignorant enough to start Forde again (although I’ve a strange feeling that Cork could be exactly the kind of team to reignite a bit of form in Forde).

That was the right decision. Aidan McCarthy pulled a Tipp lad down to prevent a goal. It was rugby tackle.

Referees are an easy target. I’ve done it myself and will do it again but the bottom line is that it’s a human variable and shit happens. Hurling is impossible to referee. It’s not a pedestrian sport like rugby for example.

Richie Hogan I assume is still bitter but it was a red card. Common sense has no boundary.

1 Like

A clear goalscoring opportunity from the sideline…tipp cunts will be tipp cunts…:rofl:

1 Like

Aidan McCarthy must have thought so because he did the rubby tackle.

Ah no…he saw a tipp cunt and did what everyone should do when a tipp cunt is about…horse him out of it! Pity waterford didn’t see it out yesterday to leave tipp cunts saving hay and reflect on their glory days.

He didn’t rugby tackle him though- there was no pull down and Morris didn’t even have clean possession. It was a loose ball on the ground which Morris got to first and McCarthy slide into s lazy tackle and their legs tangled. It was a free and maybe a soft yellow but it was a very harsh call to award a penalty