Munster Senior Hurling Championship 2024

Is GAAGO a private concern in any way?

I don’t think so, unless you consider the GAA private

Informative rating.

I think it’s a joint venture between rte and gaa

I think it is, with RTÉ and GAA being the shareholders. The point is that GAAGO or RTÉ don’t allocate rights to matches, the GAA does.

I doubt it’s as wan way as that.

Of course it is. The GAA may enter a contract for GAAGO to show a certain number of matches but that is a GAA decision. No point blaming RTÉ or anybody else.

You don’t think RTE have any input or negotiation?
Don’t be silly.

That’s my point. It’s a negotiation the GAA have agreed to. They could also have chosen to give TG4 rights to matches. There’s no point in blaming RTÉ.

I wasn’t.

1 Like

I was surprised Micheal O’Donhnaill said TG4 were mad for Championship games.

I thought they’d actually like a few weekends off during the summer before the serious business begins in the Autumn.

Funnier every-time you see it. He timed the run well in fairness.

3 Likes

There’s a huge conflict of interest when RTE owns 50% of GAAgo.

It must have been done in the belief that they didn’t have the capabilities to set up their own streaming service independently.

It meant RTE/GAAgo want subscribers thus the rights are designed to increase sales. In reality, I’d imagine sales of these games are much less than predicted.

My main gripe with GAAgo is not the payment, I’d prefer to have it on Skysports as I am a subscriber (not a dodgy box one) but the fact GAA go is not channel 442 or something on the sky box which can be accessed via the red button and is guaranteed quality compared to streaming currently which is very very dodgy.

2 Likes

I was raging the other day. I presumed my sister would have set up GAAGo for the auld lad because it would be outside his area to have it setup. If it was on Sky, no bother. He ended up listening to it on the radio.

2 Likes

We got the auld lad set up on GoGo & paired it to the TV for the first Cork game a couple of weeks ago. Put in the code for the game earlier in the day & thought you’d go back in & it would play when coverage started. Of course, it wasn’t that straightforward. The code had expired & you needed to get a new code. Trying then to remotely talk him through needing to go into the app on his phone to access another code & input it into app on the telly. The GGA should be brought before The Hague.

16 Likes

I had it set up for my auld pair before I went to Waterford but apparently it was stopping and starting, I think it was the link that slowed it down via the HDMI cable.

Either way, it’s totally unsatisfactory.

1 Like

It’s an incredible set up really.

You have RTE who have a duty as a public service broadcaster. Then you have RTE who are a shareholder in GAAGO, who clearly want to cream off as much money as possible from the pay per view games - all while trying to fulfil their obligations as a public service broadcaster. It’s the most blatant conflict of interest imaginable. McBennett is playing both sides.

Then you’ve the GAA who want as many people as possible to see the best games but want to make a killing from GAAGO also. It’s pretty ludicrous.

Then there’s the matches they actually decide to show. Dublin v Antrim should be on GAAGO this weekend. It’s not - instead they are showing Carlow being violated by Kilkenny. Crazy.

The big hurling games are the golden egg for GAAGO and it looks here to stay. I doubt they are making much from showing Kildare v Longford in the Tailteann Cup. Masochists who have an interest in this game - yours truly - will actually go to it and not fork out money for a potentially dodgy connection.

3 Likes

The hurling championship should be free to air. Amateur game at the end of the day. Between RTE1, 2 , TG4 and the RTE news channel they have it would be very easily done.

They’re just been cunts about it. Arguably Sky sports is a loss now coverage wise. Cork v Limerick next Saturday night should absolutely be on free to air television next weekend. I want to record that and watch the game back on Sunday and relish in the carkies demise.

3 Likes

3 out of 4 of corks games this year are on gaago i think 2 were last year. The most populous hurling county. Its not a coincidence either

2 Likes

I think Donal Og is dead right. Its scandalous.

TV licence should cover it. No one watches RTE for anything but sport sure.

There is only so many times you can watch the james bond movies on a Saturday evening. Put on the hurling.

1 Like