Munster Senior Hurling Championship 2024

That’s why Clare are favourites Sunday. Home advantage, their round robin history and their hatred of Limerick.

All their points v Tipp too :sob:

Jaysus, Clare have really underperformed outside of Munster. They haven’t even made an All Ireland final. Tend to run out of gas as the year goes on.

The best spin you could put on it from a Waterford perspective is that Waterford typically don’t go well when there’s any level of expectation on them. Waterford won’t be burdened with any level of expectation on them for Sunday or the campaign ahead.

I assume he is hoping Connolly will get 3 of this 4 goals because god only knows who else is goaling in that forward line.

That Waterford team has a big performance in it always. It’s studded with talent. I always thought that Waterford of nearly all counties just need to be told to go out and play. Davy Fitz is the absolute opposite of what they want or need.

3 Likes

New rule this year means you must finish 3rd for divisional bye to count. This increase the jeopardy.

1 Like

That will definetely help.

Goal scoring is one thing we don’t have to worry too much about. We got plenty last year without Connolly.

1 Like

That’s exactly it. Waterford have cracking talent, should be allowed to play, but Davy is just a brake on it. He’s supposed to be a tactical genius, I just think he hasn’t a clue what he’s doing.

Ya it sorts it really, it’s twice as difficult win it from the preliminary so it’s still a huge benefit to come in top 2 of group. Relegation not delayed either.

I’m hearing reports that Cork have hoovered up most of the tickets for their opener in Walsh Park. Disappointing to hear that Waterford supporters, who were crying out for home games, have not taken up the mantle now. I wouldnt care too much about the league but there may be more grounds for optimism if TDB is fit and ready to go and Jamie Barron is finally back at the peak of his powers. Also if Waterford go more offensive they will definitely cause teams more problems. Cork 1 - 9 are as good as any team. I’d worry a small bit about still being reliant on the older brigade. Connolly and Barrett could be after kicking on. Jack O Connor has pace and will be a threat. Jake Morris and himself opposed at U20 level but their hurling careers have evolved a lot differently since with one kicking on and the other stalling. The resemblance was uncanny in terms of player traits with only discernible difference being 1 was wearing red and other Blue and Gold. Cork probably need O Connor to start proving himself. If Robbie O Flynn and Dalton were fit youd imagine theyd be 2 starting wingforwards. The latter was very effective last year so hes a miss. I’ll give a tentative vote to Cork in no way should they be 2/5 favourites.

Cork 1-9 are as good as any team? I wouldn’t agree with that at all.

Joyce is class but outside of that, I see a lot of potential weaknesses in their backline and I have no idea who starts midfield for them, but the balance has been all over the shop in recent years.

4 Likes

Wasn’t corks management only in place for last year?

They’d a good season last season. Unlucky to play both Clare and Limerick away when both were facing elimination if they were knocked out.

There wasn’t a whole pile wrong with their performances imo.

3 Likes

Probably Fitzgibbon and O Connell. Or they could throw in a surprise and put Coleman in there especially If Millerick starts on one wing and Downey on the other.

Going back to my previous post I dont think they have a lot to find on last year. They were very competitive and a little unlucky you could say. They didnt have Coleman, Connolly, O Flynn. Jack O Connor didnt feature at all. Tommy O Connell has turned into a fine player.
Their biggest problem when they have everyone is who their best 15 are. They have depth at most positions now.

1 Like

A club out the west who shall remain nameless (Aglish) ordered a total of two tickets.
The sister is trying to buy a ticket on Ticketmaster and it won’t let her buy a single ticket.

1 Like

I think they are on public sale on Ticketmaster now.

Looks like Davy Fitzgerald has Waterford supporters staying away in their droves.

It was one of the games not on general sale if I remember correctly but they should be from today or tomorrow as tickets come back. Should still be close to a sell out.

There was a few there about 30 mins ago when I had a look before I went for lunch.