Munster SHC 2021

What will capacity be for the final?

That Franciscan Well place down on the Quays would probably have a screen?

They haven’t announced it yet but it’ll surely be one of these test events. I’d imagine the GAA have already lobbied/lobbyed Minister Chambers’ office this morning to hike up the permitted attendance.

Mind you, they’ll probably only increase it to a pitiful 5,000 or something.

Another useless fucking referee.

They’ll probably give it outside the province to the likes of Sean Cleere

On the penalty yesterday one question is why young McCarthy felt he needed to take out Morris ???

1 Like

To prevent a goal scoring opportunity?

7 Likes

It was 100% frustration. It wasn’t cynical.
He was after losing the ball when he had a good bit of time. He just lunged in .

Personally I think bottling out of sending off Barrett for hauling Tony Kelly to the ground, when he was already booked, was even a worse decision than the penalty.

Barrett’s play acting probably saved him but it was weak, weak refereeing.

2 Likes

It was a total lunge and gave the ref a decision to make . He was very silly or else …

To me it was total frustration with himself that he had given the ball away. He hardly had time to think and make calculations.

I’d say the Tipp lads were as shocked as anyone when he pointed to the spot* for a pen.

Terribly rash from McCarthy. Dived in recklessly and gave Owens a decision to make which is never likely to end well.

*outstretched his arms

In fairness to Owens if Morris gets by the tackle from McCarthy, everyone in the ground would be saying ‘goal on here’ so you can definitely see why he gave it, but its a stupid rule.

He made a “calculation” to do Morris

That tackle by McCarthy was dangerous. It seems like going for the legs is fair game in hurling, especially as we’ve seen from goalkeepers over the past few years

No real different to Barrett’s knee lunge into Galvin after his flick for the second goal really. Both knew they had minimal chance of winning the ball and were playing the man.

2 Likes

Sure it wasn’t McCarthy who gave the ball away, he had passed it back into Flanagans hand. When he saw Morris get free on a run towards goal he knew he had to do something.

Liam Rushe went in with a two footed lunge early on in the Galway game, think it was the second early goal chance. Luckily for him he was too slow and the Galway man side stepped it but if he had caught him he would have done damage

1 Like

I don’t think so. he wasn’t far off getting the ball. His momentum just carried him through**.

** I reserve the right to copy and paste this argument for when a Limerick hurler actually decapitates an opponent as the Cork lads thought they were trying to do on Saturday

1 Like

I think he knew the first booking against Barrett was wrong and was making up for that; Brendan Maher had given away a number of frees and should have been yellow carded sooner. He booked Barrett for persistent fouling for the first yellow, despite the fact that he hadn’t conceded a free before that. Just goes to further highlight Owen’s incompetence really.

1 Like

He had fumbled the puck up after making 40 yards or so to get the hook on Morris and then got bottle up just before handpassing to Flanagan.

1 Like