Music Questions

I don’t want to clog up the threads where people are posting tunes or discussing gigs but I will have some ongoing questions about music that the forum may be able to assist with. I stopped listening to new music in 2006 but I’m definitely making my belated comeback before the January transfer window. However, I need to fill in some gaps in the intervening period.

What I want to know first is - whatever happened to Antony & The Johnsons? I heard that ‘Hope There’s Someone…’ song for the first time in years yesterday and it was as class as I remembered it.

Also, is Sufjan Stevens still making albums for each US state?

Thank you.

I believe the answer to the Sufjan Stevens one is no. He’s still making plenty of music - think I have about 200 songs of his on my phone - but he stopped the states project and described it as a gimmick as far as I know. But he’s had some contradictory quotes on it.

[quote=“Rocko, post: 623220”]
I believe the answer to the Sufjan Stevens one is no. He’s still making plenty of music - think I have about 200 songs of his on my phone - but he stopped the states project and described it as a gimmick as far as I know. But he’s had some contradictory quotes on it.[/quote]

That’s a shame. I used to contentedly listen to the Michigan and Illinois albums quite a lot.

Embarrassing stuff. Bandage obviously trying to impress a young workmate with his knowledge of music.

Tell him about the blood in your stools. That should get his attention you hush puppied freak.

[quote=“Fagan ODowd, post: 623222”]Embarrassing stuff. Bandage obviously trying to impress a young workmate with his knowledge of music.

Tell him about the blood in your stools. That should get his attention you hush puppied freak.[/quote]

Woah Fagan.

Just woah.

Fagan and Chocolatemice seem to have serious issues going on at the moment. Both appear to be in a constant state of anger - it’s as if they’re trying to make up for kevs lack of posting in recent weeks.

I started a thread along these line already Bandage. I’ll ask you to defer to it in future

I thank you

Rocko, what was the name of the band you recommended to me around 2005/06? A duo on guitars singing folky kind of rock. Album was called something like For Whom The Bell Tolls or maybe not actually? A couple of their songs really helped me to overcome Paul Hunter’s death - I took that very badly at the time.

Locke, FOAD.

Also, is Bright Eyes any good these days?

Bright eyes is still producing the odd gem but not as good as he was. If you are looking for some easy listening ’ I am Kloot’ and ‘The Antlers’ are decent.

I have come to the conclusion that Fleet Foxes are the best band in the world at this present time

[quote=“ChocolateMice, post: 623227”]

Bright eyes is still producing the odd gem but not as good as he was. If you are looking for some easy listening ’ I am Kloot’ and ‘The Antlers’ are decent.[/quote]

Thanks pal - I’ll take those on board. Are I Am Kloot kind of indie dance/pop? I trust your judgement on music implicitly. In fact, I started my music re-education with The XX based on the recommendation of you and Farmer. I’m finding that album quite magnificent so far.

Decent alright but far from great… 3 or 4 good songs per each album which are too much of a much for me. Saw them live twice and are not great either

No mate, they are more folk / indie/ rock. But best to run them past farmer first. I am only a mere footnote compared to his vast musical knowledge.

I should have been more clear. He’s not still making all the albums but you’re still allowed to listen to the albums that he had already recorded.

[quote=“ChocolateMice, post: 623231”]

No mate, they are more folk / indie/ rock. But best to run them past farmer first. I am only a mere footnote compared to his vast musical knowledge.[/quote]

No, I need to rely on someone other than Farmer. There’s not liking mainstream music, which is fine, and then there’s Mr “I’ll like stuff even if it’s utter shit because nobody else knows about it” Farmer.

This is true… Tho he seems to have tamed somewhat of late whatever he is at offline.

The avett brothers are another fantastic group… They are folky/ bluegrass / country rock and write some beautiful songs.

I have reverted back to some old skool hip hop myself of late and am enjoying the delights of grandmaster flash, Dre, Jurassic 5 , biggie etc some great beats in them days.

Two Gallants were that band Bandage. Still listen to them a bit but didn’t like their next album as much.

I still have a certain fondness for Bright Eyes and his various projects.

Ah that’s not fair mate. Not fair at all.

[quote=“farmerinthecity, post: 623236”]

Ah that’s not fair mate. Not fair at all.[/quote]

Sorry mate. I regretted the post a few minutes after hitting ‘submit’ but it would have been gutless to take it down and pretend it never happened.

That’s a very good shout chewy but I don’t think their most recent album is anywhere near the first which is very close to my favourite.

The new Bon Iver album is also very good.

I’ll have nothing but overwhelming praise for Farmer’s musical tips as he introduced to the magnificent Midlake. I’ve been listening to the their first album again recently, Farmer. It’s not too shabby