Music Questions

I selected a sample you cunt hook - do you think I could list every single Scotch band?

You could have listed a few of the better ones rather than mostly twee shit.

speaking of, Cocteau Twins

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6KnYw4EwYGc

Says the guy who picked Travis.

:rollseyes:

1 Like

Also forgot to mention Idlewild and Jesus and the Mary Chain. We have “Ro” “Steo” and “Bryan”…

Ok, Scottish all time greatest 11 vs Irish all time greatest 11. Both teams playing 4-4-2:-

Scotland

GK: Belle and Sebastian - typical flashy Scottish keeper that is prone to bizarre hiccups in form and letting you down unexpectedly
RB: Mogwai - consistent and under-rated performer. One of those lads who can defend brilliantly and it never shows up on the MOTD highlight reel
LB: The Vaselines - gritty veteran, deceptively quick
CB: Franz Ferdinand - in my opinion a massively consistent and underrated veteran. Tough, classy, has everything a top CB needs for me
CB: Biffy Clyro - another hard hitter but not at the level of his partner in the back
RM: Cocteau Twins - magician on the wing but doesn’t like it up him and goes missing at key moments during games. Links up well with Mogwai down the right wing
LM: Big Country - Powerful player but a little cumbersome for me. Lacks guile for me but good heart. A “plastic Jock”
CM: The Proclaimers (captain) - the heart of the side. Just keeps going and gets stuck into anyone. Fearless but lacks class. Beatable and if you get on top of him the rest of the team loses heart
CM: Deacon Blue - you can see what they’re thinking, The Proclaimers wins the ball and Deacon Blue plays it. A lot of class but lacks physicality. Like the Proclaimers he has a good engine though. I think their centre midfield is a potential weakness.
FW: The Waterboys - agile and vastly experienced veteran. Wiley. For me a great player
ST: Primal Scream - seriously dangerous player. For me a top level striker but would he really make it in the Champions League? Ireland have genuine Champions League level players. Do Scotland?

Subs: The Fratellis (one incredible season when he was young then nothing, Texas (classy but lacks toughness, they’ve a lot of players like that), Jesus & Mary Chain (good player), Bay City Rollers (shite) + Travis (shite, overpaid, everything that’s wrong with modern football)
Manager: The Corries

Ireland

GK: The Pogues - Mr. Consistency. Loved by the fans. Capable of making huge saves
RB: The Frames - solid if unspectacular performer. Gets forward when he can, fights for every ball, huge heart. Final ball into the box could be better
LB: Whipping Boy - massively underrated performer in my opinion. Provides nice balance with The Frames on the right wing and they run a good offside trap
CB: Van Morrison - now we’re talking. In my opinion ahead of Sergio Ramos as the greatest CB ever. Has everything. Oozes class in all he does on the pitch. Never outfought physically.
CB: Rory Gallagher - gritty little performer. Overshadowed by Van the Man beside him but great old school defender
RM: Cranberries - capable of great deliveries but needs to work harder. Divisive amongst the fans who don’t always appreciate his attitude
LM: The Undertones - he’ll run all day but lacks a bit of size for me
CM: My Bloody Valentine - a genius. A fighter, a ghost. Operating on another level to anything Scotland have in CM. First touch comparable to Xavi
CM: Thin Lizzy - the boss. Perfect foil for MBV beside him. Phenomenal box to box midfielder.
CF: Sinead O’Connor - wiley veteran operating in the hole
ST: U2 - arguably the GOAT

Subs: Stiff Little Fingers (good full back), The Corrs (flair player, doesn’t like it up her, sadly), Kodaline (scores a lot of tap ins), Damien Rice (a controversial exclusion from the first 11. A genius of an attacker who can’t even get starting) Snow Patrol (slightly shit midfielder but good squad player) Ash (gritty CB)

Manager: The Dubliners

I think I’ve done it fairly but Ireland beat them fairly comfortably in the end. Ireland are far more physical, the spine of the Irish team is outrageously strong and the workman-like Scottish midfield can’t get close to Ireland’s centre midfield. Ireland win the centre midfield battle hands down. Scotland have more pace on the flanks however. I have it 2-0 or 3-0 Ireland. I don’t really see Scotland scoring against that Irish defence.

1 Like

Scotland is unquestionably the best pound for pound music exporter in the world.

Also Aphex Twin should have played for Ireland. Born in Limerick as I understand it.

Therapy??

You could stick him in instead of Kevin Shields who’s from New York.

Something Happens once supported Warren Zevon on a tour and then played as his band.

Who is the greatest female vocalist of all time?

Where would Adele rank in the pantheon of great female vocalists?

Is Whitney the GOAT? She would probably be my choice given her range. I’d say the hair would stand on end if you heard her live.

Who else is up there? Tina, Shirley Bassey, Aretha, Bette Middler?

1 Like

USA, USA, USA!!!

Whitney and Dionne have to be in the frame

1 Like
1 Like

Surely billie holliday

1 Like
  1. Kiri te Kanawa
  2. Maria Callas

I was thinking that myself.

Nina Simone also springs to mind.

2 Likes

All of them are very good in my opinion.

Tina Turner on River Deep Mountain High. Bloody hell.

Dusty Springfield.

2 Likes