National Gaelic Football League 2018

Colm O’Rourke batting for his fellow county man David Gough there after that weird Eoin Doyle gumshield sending off. Says it’s an insurance issue, the ref was right and CON should focus on why his talented squad has 0 points.

The pitch at Ballyshannon appears to be on the side of a hill, or is that just the camera angle.

That was a cracking goal Donegal got - a 100% deliberate lob from way out on the left designed to fool the goalkeeper into thinking it was an attempt at a point, and which dipped just underneath the crossbar to beat the goalkeeper - exactly like Vinny Murphy’s goal against Kildare in the 1991 League final.

Love the way Cian O’Neill has “CON” on his tracksuits. Fitting and I mean that in a figurative sense as the tracksuit is welded around his moobs.

6 Likes

Until I see evidence of the gunshield flying out of the mouth then Cian O Neill can fuck right off

Can anyone explain why one Kildare goal was disallowed and the other virtually identical one was let stand? I thought the squareball rule didn’t apply to open play any more

It’s illegal if you’re standing in the square before a pass is played.

That s your problem Rodney, you insist on thinking.

Wasn’t that the old rule?

I’ll look it up

The full text of the new rule is:
Rule 4.9 Official Guide Part 2 – Rules of Foul Play – Rule 4 Technical Fouls:

“For an attacking player to enter opponents’ small rectangle:
(a) During Play (excluding Set Play), before the final play of the ball into the small rectangle
(b) In Set Play, before the ball enters the small rectangle.
Exception:
(i) If an attacking player legally enters the small rectangle, and the ball is played from that area but is returned before the attacking player has time to leave the area, provided he does not play the ball or interfere with the defence, a foul is not committed.
(ii) When a point is scored from outside the small rectangle and the ball is sufficiently high to be out of reach of all players, the score shall be allowed even though an attacking player may have been, otherwise illegally, within the small rectangle before the ball – provided that the player in question does not interfere with the defence.”

The old rule was basically that you had to be “running in”.

Now you don’t have to be “running in”, just outside the square when the ball is played to you.

This doesn’t apply to placed balls though, which can sometimes cause confusion.

The old rule was that you couldn’t be in the square before the ball, which was ridiculous as no official can have more than one field of vision

Thank God they cleared up that up

That was actually easier to police.

Ah lovely

2 Likes

O’Rourke and Gough are not fellow county men afaik

Apologies, I thought Gough was from Leitrim.

1 Like

He’s from Meath

1 Like

Just watching this game on Eir now.

The commentator is John Lynch, formerly of Shannonside FM.

1 Like

Thanks, pal. He seemed reasonable enough - do you have any view on his commentary abilities?

Are all this week’s games refixed for next week?

No they’re not afaik