National Hurling League 2015

Maybe I’m getting ground down by constant disappointment, but Shane Dooley always seemed to pose more of a threat playing in worse teams.

Joe Canning > Shane Dooley.

[QUOTE=“the man himself, post: 1103542, member: 1766”]I’ll answer that with this comment from somebody on Premierview

I have my opinion on the chap from watching him since Minor/U21 & his days Senior. The good days have been few in comparison to the bad. I have nothing against the lad, he is honest, committed to the cause & obviously proud to wear the jersey. But, young Breen & Ronan Maher have better hurling & made a great impact today. More young lads need these chances, James is there a long time now & his shooting & distribution are not where they should be. IMO, he is not up to standard. A fit Brendan Maher, Bergin or Shane McGrath are the viable midfield options. Even Bill Maher from Kilsheelan deserves a go at this stage. If John McGrath can get a chance & play like that today them EOS should be looking at more younger players.

:rolleyes:

We would be at nothing without Woodlock and Patrick Maher. Who else have we to do the mullocking?

Woodlocks shooting for points has never been his strong point but his workrate is simply magnificent. Second name on the teamsheet come championship after Bonnar in my opinion.

It’s not my way usually to slag players off. I’m just frustrated. I shouldn’t be doing it,
How did dean Higgins play @Kinvara’s Passion ?
Looks a more balanced side of late?

We would be at nothing without Woodlock and Patrick Maher. Who else have we to do the mullocking?

Woodlocks shooting for points has never been his strong point but his workrate is simply magnificent. Second name on the teamsheet come championship after Bonnar in my opinion.[/QUOTE]
Can you read? I was talking about Woodlock. I don’t rate him.

[QUOTE=“carryharry, post: 1103570, member: 1517”][/QUOTE]
I have my opinion on the chap from watching him since Minor/U21 & his days Senior. The good days have been few in comparison to the bad. I have nothing against the lad, he is honest, committed to the cause & obviously proud to wear the jersey. But, young Breen & Ronan Maher have better hurling & made a great impact today. More young lads need these chances, James is there a long time now & his shooting & distribution are not where they should be. IMO, he is not up to standard. A fit Brendan Maher, Bergin or Shane McGrath are the viable midfield options. Even Bill Maher from Kilsheelan deserves a go at this stage. If John McGrath can get a chance & play like that today them EOS should be looking at more younger players.[/QUOTE]
Bill Maher can’t even get on as a sub for UL. Brendan Maher hasn’t played well for Tipp in a while now. Shane McGrath will be starting midfield I presume and deservedly so. Bergin wasn’t great today either. Also, my standout memory of Woodlock underage was him giving an exhibition of hurling in an u21 All Ireland against Kilkenny up in Croke Park

I can’t agree with that. Bergin had a fine game.

Didn’t see the last 5 minutes but up until then I didn’t think he was great

It’s Bonner Maher is it not?

I think your being a bit harsh of Canning here. He has been carrying Galway on his shoulders for a few years to be honest. Ok, he is not Shefflin and there are times he drifts out of games but in general play he is still in the top 5 hurlers in the country. When he come on yesterday he gave a completely different dynamic to the team.

Higgins got blocked a bit easily on occasion but he took his 2 points well and fought strongly for possession. He’ll definitely get game time this summer at some stage.

Worth mentioning that Padraig Mannion looks like a real prospect and will fight hard to get a spot on the team this year.

[QUOTE=“flattythehurdler, post: 1103572, member: 1170”]
Looks a more balanced side of late?[/QUOTE]

Very hard to say. I have seen them twice in Pearse and I think @maroonandwhite isn’t too far off the mark when he says that the shite pitch is working in our favour.

Will be interesting to see what happens when the pitches get faster. I get the feeling that out of Tannian, J Cooney and Collins… 1 of them will be lucky to survive when things pick up.

I thought Dublin looked a lot like the team that were well beaten by Tipp last year. They seem to miss a lot of scores that the other top teams will typically put over. Cunningham hasn’t improved that part of their game. Keaney seems too slow to be a wing back. Full back was very slow too. Not sure they will be all that different than they were under Daly. On a wet/windy day they may cause an upset but on a dry/warm day they don’t have the hurling technical skills to go toe to toe with a top team

All Dublin’s big performances recently have took place in more confined tighter grounds like Parnell Park, Portlaoise & Nolan Park. They just don’t seem to perform in Croke Park like they do in the venues mentioned above.
As regards those who are saying Cunningham has not improved Dublin’s scoring threat & ability, well he there in the job a wet week so hardly fair to criticise the man so soon.

[QUOTE=“carryharry, post: 1103868, member: 1517”]All Dublin’s big performances recently have took place in more confined tighter grounds like Parnell Park, Portlaoise & Nolan Park. They just don’t seem to perform in Croke Park like they do in the venues mentioned above.
As regards those who are saying Cunningham has not improved Dublin’s scoring threat & ability, well he there in the job a wet week so hardly fair to criticise the man so soon.[/QUOTE]

A lot of people say Nolan Park (at least) is bigger than Croke Park. Not sure if that is the case but main difference with Croke Park appears to be the surface is different from any other pitch and rewards pace and touch.

Yeah I think most Dubs fans are not criticising Cunningham but are disappointed that no new players seem to have come through and starting team will be very similar to what it was under Daly

[QUOTE=“carryharry, post: 1103868, member: 1517”]All Dublin’s big performances recently have took place in more confined tighter grounds like Parnell Park, Portlaoise & Nolan Park. They just don’t seem to perform in Croke Park like they do in the venues mentioned above.
As regards those who are saying Cunningham has not improved Dublin’s scoring threat & ability, well he there in the job a wet week so hardly fair to criticise the man so soon.[/QUOTE]

do you need me to quote the pitch dimensions again?

Croke Park and Nowlan park are the same dimensions. Portlaoise is 2m shorter, and 2m narrower. Parnell Park is 4m shorter and 6m narrower. Now unless you mean the actual grounds and structure themselves, but if you did, then that would be a pile of bollix.

Did those Kilkenny fuckers manage to get the new Croke Park built to their own spec’s when it was being overhauled? The cute hoors.

Dublin shown up again today. 5 points up and against 14 man team that hadn’t won in a year and conspired to lose it. Thought they might show a reaction after last week’s hammering. Cunnigham has some decisions to take - the defence seems very slow and easy to score against

Conceded 34 points last week and blew it today against 14 men when a few points up.

You get the feeling Daly dragged every last drop out of them and if anything maybe stayed on a year too long.

[QUOTE=“dodgy-keeper, post: 1106797, member: 1552”]Conceded 34 points last week and blew it today against 14 men when a few points up.

You get the feeling Daly dragged every last drop out of them and if anything maybe stayed on a year too long.[/QUOTE]
Yeah it’s worrying starting team will be much same as Daly’s team. Really need to start with new players (if they are there) and build over 3 years