National Hurling League Final 2023 - KK v the Limericks

Wexford still relying on their core group from the Leinster U21 victories (2013-2015) plus the Liam Dunne minor teams from back in 2008/09. Outside of that it’s mainly the likes of Rory O’ Connor and Damien Reck keeping the thing going. We’ve seen in this years league what can happen when some of those older players are out injured.

2 Likes

Padraig Walsh was a grand wing back for years before he became a jack of all trades. It’d be nice to see him returned to his best position.

They just came up against the greatest team of all-time and there’s no shame in getting a trimming.

1 Like

Waterford still totally reliant on the BarronTDB/Gleeson generation.

Limerick are different gravy. When KK were in their pomp, it was playing hurling. But we were playing regular hurling - Limerick playing a different game. How the fuck do they get all the overloads???

1 Like

I find myself nodding with agreement with you.

Very little has filtered through for them since the 2016 U21 Hall of Famers bar Callum Lyons and that youngster Fitzgerald from Ballygunner.

Galway still very reliant on the core of the 2017 team plus a few of the 2015 minor winners for a county who dominated minor hurling for a few years.

Hard work and humility

3 Likes

I thought it was a pity that Adam English didn’t get a run.

A little surprised CON didn’t start at midfield but he got his 35 minutes there today. Did fairly well, you’d have no fear of him starting at MF & HF if he had to.

The left-footed kick pass to Lynch after he got given a bad pass was great stuff.

5 Likes

Enjoy every minute of it bud

1 Like

Oh we are!

2 Likes

I think Lyng was right to try things, that’s what the league is for.

I don’t think Walsh is a man-marking corner-back, let him go back to 5 now. That probably means Lawlor has to return to 3 though, if you have Butler & T. Walsh in the corners.

That means 6 is still an issue (obviously they could end up playing Walsh at 6), as I’m not sure that Richie Reid is the answer.

Could Deegan still do a job at corner-back?

I was at the game watching from up high in the South Stand today. I don’t know how they do it. Everywhere on the pitch they always have a man to offload the ball to.

They are so much cleaner with the ball than everyone else. Forget their physicality, Limerick just do not make mistakes with the ball. 30,40 yard passes go directly to hand every time. I’m convinced that teams may have to try to push right up on Limerick and nearly man-mark the Limerick backs!

1 Like

He wouldn’t do a job in the jacks!! Great heart and is fit, but can’t hurl. If you saw a twelve year old with Deegan’s swing you’d have them practicing the right way up again a wall for the afternoon till they got it right.

It will take a sober Tipperary team to finish this whole Limerick thing.

A Galway team with backbone

1 Like

Goals will down Limerick.

All the muscle & skill in the world won’t beat them without goals.

That doesn’t exist

We can score goals too

1 Like

I laughed out loud when I saw the number 4 jersey appear to me when he got the ball. I’d as much clue as Kilkenny how he ended up there. Some player, his days as a forward obviously standing to him, his point was a point a corner forward would be proud of. However the work he’s done behind closed doors learning from the likes of Finn, Casey, English and others to become a proper defender is so impressive. Whatever about Hannon going from main scorer to effortless centre back lording ball, Nash going from crafty forward to do it all corner back is some bit of work.

3 Likes