National Hurling League Final 2023 - KK v the Limericks

Fuck Tipp

4 Likes

He gave what amounted to a pre-season talk setting out goals and behaviours. It was very impressive.

1 Like

I was very impressed with his speech on the bus when they were on the way to the hotel after the 2018 final in the documentary.

He was clearly overthinking it.

Skehill’s team:

Eoin murphy
Eoin O’Donnell
Daithe Burke
Ciaran Joyce
Tadhg de burca
Ronan maher
Joe cooney
Noel McGrath
Cathal Mannion
Tony Kelly
TJ Reid
Adrian Mullen
Eoin Cody
Johnny Glynn
Conor Whelan

Murphy’s team:

Eoin murphy
Mikey butler
Huw Lawlor
Eoin O’Donnell
Padraig Walsh
Daithe Burke
Ronan maher
Adrian Mullen
Jamie Barron
Conor cooney
Tony Kelly
Eoin Cody
Conor Whelan
TJ
Shane O’Donnell

I’d go:

Stephen O’Keefe
Mikey Butler
Daithe burke
Eoin O’Donnell
Joseph Cooney
Tadhg de burca
Joyce
David Burke
Adrian Mullen
Gleeson
Kelly
Cathal Mannion
Hutchinson
TJ
Whelan

Austin Gleeson, TK, Whelan,C Mannion and TJ often win their battles against Limerick.

If you’re making a hypothetical team to beat Limerick then you need players that work against them not players who are good in their own right. I’d say Limerick love playing against Noel McGrath for example. He couldn’t lay a glove on any of them and is gobbled up when the ball hits the floor.

I think there would be a lot of Galway players on my team. I’m struggling for a half back line though. Goalie aswell. Who has the best puckout aside from Quaid?

Éanna Murphy is the second best goalkeeper in the country.

Half-forward & midfield is probably the most difficult selection. It’s easy to pick fellas who will sit outside the Limerick half-backs and score points from distance but usually the Limerick half-backs have utter dominance in general play and are still giving Limerick a massive platform. So getting someone who can stop that but also score is difficult.

You’d also need wing-backs that attack, get Hego & Tom turned back towards their own goals.

I think Calum Lyons & Padraig Mannion would have to be the wing-backs imo. Maybe David Fitzgerald & Lee Chin as wing-forwards who have the athleticism & hurling to hurt Limerick.

Don’t know about midfield… you’re probably going to picking an under-the-radar player to actually do the job that needs to be done. Not some loose hurler who’s going to stand off and just look for handy ball. You just don’t get that against Limerick as intensity rises.

1 Like

He won’t be picked on any side in the media but Ryan Taylor is the man you want for midfield. Was excellent when moved there at half time in Ennis and in the Munster final.

I was thinking of Ryan Taylor & Jamie Barron but it is lightweight enough. You’d probably need to pair one of them with someone like Cathal Malone or Jack Prendergast. Peak David Burke would be a shoo-in, and did really well in last year’s semi-final.

Fuck it I forgot Chin, he’d have to be in there. You’d need five subs as well.

Mikey Butler was cleaned out yesterday. He didn’t know where he was supposed to be

Galway have the biggest contingent ror the job. 2 mannions, monagahan, fintsn burke, Conor Whelan and the keeper.
Add chin plus a couple of the Wexford runners, harnedy, tj, prunty, Barron, David fitz, Ryan Taylor and conlan. Hugh lawlor and Eoin Cody.

That is your squad. Crummy assumed not available.

Not one nordie named … sickening.

Unpopular and maybe biased opinion, but I’d have Chin in there instead of Tj.

Johnny Glynn and he playing in a mickey Mouse league out in New York :roll_eyes: throw Chin in ahead of him instead.

Ok, it’s not a real team that will be playing any time soon. Calm down.

A few Yahoos saying TK, Gleeson , TJ et al regularly win their battles v Limerick… I think they’re missing the point - Limerick don’t bother their bollox detailing anyone to them. Limerick literally let Kelly off to do as he wants.

It’s not and never will be about individual battles with Limerick.

1 Like

Playing a Johnny Glynn or Chin at 14 is a bit of a waste if time v Limerick. Limerick if anything want you to play direct as they can keep their defensive shape and keep Hannon sitting it. Playing a big lad abd just lumping it simply won’t work.

You need two or three lads in your forwards who have the ability to get out in front and survive the physical stuff - a two man inside line of Whelan and Hutchinson with TK moving out the field and looking to come off the shoulder.

I don’t think you could pick any lads who don’t have pace regardless of their other qualities from 8 to 15 as you will need to carry ball and track runs as much as possible - trying to just lump it long to a big man is just counter productive and will allow limerick build from the back

1 Like

The second half of the Munster final when Limerick didn’t mind Duggan trying to bat/control the ball on his hurley is the perfect example of this. They just methodically set up around him and didn’t let him catch ball cleanly. No problem there. Panic stations when Clare managed to run from the wing centrally and not really able to stop it once the HB player was turned

Here’s the thing though. From what I’ve seen of Limerick this year, they’ve evolved their game again. They are quite prepared to let teams show their hand for the first quarter and readjust accordingly. I was watching some podcast on youtube there this morning. Tipp had scored 14 points in the first 20 minutes of the league semi and were limited to two for the last 15