National Hurling League Final 2023 - KK v the Limericks

I would disagree with you there Mike. I think it’s a case of teams starting like a train against Limerick and throwing everything at them for half an hour and then just getting physically ground down and the mistakes creep in and it all goes to shit.

I think that’s been the pattern of Limerick games for 3 years now.

6 Likes

Maybe Fagan, I dunno but Clare, Galway and Kilkenny lasted the pace last year.

It’s pretty much the same tactic that was needed to beat the Kilkenny team of old - pace and movement. Trying to make it an arm wrestle might work for 5 or 10 minutes but just becomes diminishing returns.

Tough to do though

In fairness Galway fancied themselves as having the physicals to take on Limerick but were disabused of that notion on a number of occasions.

Maybe. Although if the game was reffed to the rules they’d only have had to face 14 men.

Galway versus Limerick

2018 FAIL
2020 FAIL
2022 FAIL

But it’s a refs fault.

1 Like

In the 2020 semi final you’d need to be fairly one eyed not to think a red card was warranted.

1 Like

For what? Canning ran into his own man.

Hegarty pulled across him at end of first half in that game.

He’s not that type of player etc.

The Galway crowd are still sore over being bullied by a few young fellas in 2018.

7 Likes

I wouldn’t worry about it … Like all good things, the end will come and we’ll all hate someone else.

2 Likes

I believe it’s the only weakness that there is in the Limerick team and it’s a minor chink at that.

But to take advantage you need two supreme ball winners of a Full Forward line.
Problem is, none of the rest have anything too close to a Gillane - Flanagan combo.

I am not sure you are right. How you get at Limerick is having a link player filling the gap between midfield and half forward, you need a lad like Harnedy or Reid to break ball down to a link. I believe half backs who can score from distance are also huge. Mannion and Lyon’s would be shoe ins. Iarlath Daly at full back and Hutchinson playing Finn would be how I would build my team.

I think lads are in danger of overthinking this.

2 Likes

Only the fuckin league…fellas on here are as excited as john mullane and Derek McGrath were after waterford won the league last year…we just did enough in a lot of championship games last year and I expect it to be as close as it was last year.

It’s 2018 again and the hurling world is wondering how Mike Casey can possibly match up against Johnny Glynn.

I’m not degrading anyone in the Limerick full back line but I believe it’s the weakest link in the chain. A very minor weakness but one that you need to capitalise upon to beat them.

If you don’t get 3 + goals against Limerick you won’t beat them.