Next Celtic Manager

No more a risk than Arteta to Arsenal?

Certainly.

For me Arteta would have been sacked only for Arsenal don’t want to admit they have got it wrong. Results have been poor for them, the FA Cup last year papered over a lot of cracks.

In different circumstances I would not have huge issues with a Maresca type appointment. My main issue here is he is likely to happily accept a programme of austerity as it is a great opportunity for his career. Whereas a new manager with pedigree and a good CV will demand he is given the resources to do the job.

People seem to forget that keane got the run around from a candlestick maker on his Celtic debut …he just doesn’t get the intricacies of Scottish football…

4 Likes

This isn’t necessarily true. City have so many teams and coaches and management and general staff about the place they are a bit of a mess. They’ve a higher turnover rate than you’d expect, and simply being at city isn’t a guarantee of excellence.

I was very surprised when arteta got the arsenal job given his relative lack of track record. The pep effect. He lived in didsbury and seemed an alright but fairly nondescript sort from his interactions in the deli.**

**Literally

Keane can make Celtic great again.

When Keane wins the treble and gets Celtic to a CL SF lots of lads on here will be kissing his hole.

Is Yogi no longer being considered ?

Good article by Tommy Martyn on the Keane links.

2 Likes

That’s a great article alright. And it gets at the nub of the point, it’s largely bhoys that aren’t overly bothered about Celtic that would welcome the appointment of Keane for all those “box office” reasons. The fear, of course, is that Desmond himself falls into that category.

2 Likes

Nail on the head, unfortunately.

The only thing is, I presume Keane would want transfer backing to a decent amount. Desmond would know he couldn’t fuck around on that score with Keane with the game Roy would play in the media.

Is Keane (with the right coaches around him) with a healthy war chest a better bet than a more capable coach who would be scratching around for transfer funds?

1 Like

Keane’s transfer policy at Sunderland was a little haphazard. You’d need a director of football to stop him buying Irishmen and Man United rejects.

1 Like

Hard to see Keane having the insight or ability to identify the types of players Celtic need to be targeting.

Might be good news for the likes of Robbie Brady, Darren Randolph and Phil Jones

1 Like

Id say he can identify them alright but none will go near him so he ends up with the likes you mention …

1 Like

I’d say he would be identifying lads like Tammy Abrahams who are miles out of Celtic’s budget and wages and then settle for Danny Welbeck

‘Welbzy’

Roy and Micah may be able to tempt Keinan Davies across the border with their Villa connections.

Definitely not Roy Keane

It’s absolutely not Keane. Disappointing to see people getting worries on here about something that’s not going to happen and using it to throw mud at Mr Desmond.

1 Like