Next Celtic Manager

This Aussie lad seems a very heavy favourite. Not mentioned at all until just before the Howe news broke.

Looks like he won’t be welcomed at all. At a very quick glance he looked shit. Then I actually thought his record might be ok. But he’s way off the inspirational type appointment needed to unite the support.

Any proper organisation would have had a pan B in place around planning like this, after 3 months Celtic didnt even have a plan A and they most certainly dont have a plan B.

Stone the flaming huns

1 Like

Sounds like it would be an interesting appointment

Shades of Arsene Wenger

Ange, Ange
When will those clouds all disappear?
Ange, Ange
Where will it lead us from here?
With no lovin’ in our souls
And no money in our coats
You can’t say we’re satisfied
Ange, Ange
You can’t say we never tried

Ange Ange
Howe shot us down
Ange Ange
We’ve no plan now
Ange Ange
You’ll do now
Ange Ange
Our Eddie shot us down

Give to the lad from st mirren already

Shades of Ronnie Delia,a great track record in a pub league. (I thought Delia was decent tbh) Celtic happy to throw the dice completely on someone who’s main attribute will be that they are cheap.
The club needs a manager who can slow the runaway horse down to a walk at this stage, not necessarily turn it round and win the gold cup. I’m entirely convinced that any half decent current spl incumbent could do a similar job, but a hard ball Aussie who takes no shit may be able to do this. Trouble is, he has no significant managerial pedigree and won’t be given any wriggle room by the supporters, who could turn on him and the club within a month.
It’s interesting that Dermot Desmond only went all in on a manager when he felt personally disrespected by a few Hun hierarchy after losing a game. The Hun hierarchy, for all I hate them, love their club and will do anything in their power to make them succeed. Desmond is largely disinterested in Celtic as a club and an institution and as part of the social fabric of a great British city. That’s his prerogative. He’s the owner. It’s unfortunate Celtic aren’t owned and run by people who are deeply passionate about the club (and live and breathe the city), but such is life.

1 Like

Deila had a very good first season but struggled with the loss of Van Dijk and Denayer in his second season. He was undermined by the fatties like Commons who loved the Lennon regime where they could eat chips and drink cans of coke etc. He didn’t have the authority to sort that out.

Our transfer policy was also shambolic then. Tonev, Mubarak, Scepovic, Janko, Ciftci, Allan, Blackett, Cole, Kazim Richards etc. We started to rely on loans about this time which was Lawwell cutting back on investment so he could give himself a bigger salary.

Half the signings under Deila were loans or short term deals and Simunovic was the only one we paid a fee over £2m for.

3 Likes

Would ye be better off with a Chris Wilder or Chris Hughton type?

1 Like

The hipsters wouldn’t want that

With Wilder they could retain Duffy and convert him into an overlapping centre back.

I can’t understand the disappointment around Howe. The sleepy south coast of Engerland is a long way from Glasgow. He would’ve shit his pants up there. Definitely was not the right fit.

1 Like

Managing a football club is largely the same regardless of location . Granted in Glasgow there is extra pressure but the fundamentals are the same

This is a guy who got homesick in Burnley though.

He’s a weak character.

Certain nationalities are not cut out to succeed as managers in British football. American, Australian, Norwegian, Southern Irish. Celtic seem determined to cover the lot.

Dodged a bullet, Eddie’s better off at QPR or Crystal Palace a club with no expectations.