Next Celtic Manager

Is Ange likely to make much of an impression in London? His European efforts haven’t been that impressive, and getting lads like Dier and Kane working as hard as he demands will be no easy task surely?

I’m not sure how he will get on but Spurs aren’t a serious club so if he has them playing nice football and finishing top 5 he should be alright for a few years.

He will probably triple his salary minimum so hard to begrudge him the move.

I’d imagine Kane will move on. I’d expect he will come in for Hatate but we should be demanding £20m minimum. He loves Kyogo so could try for him too.

1 Like

I think Ange will do at least one more season.

1 Like

I did too but it looks like things may have changed…

He’d leave us in a significantly stronger world than two years back and as a club legend. He’s not scurrying out the back door like the rat here.

Its a sore one and I’d have loved him to have another crack at Europe but we’ll go again

I’d hope so as I think we are fucked without him as we’ll cheapskate appointments and investment after he’s gone and it will be Lennon mk III.

It all depends if the rumours are genuine, if he really is Spurs 1st option I can’t see him staying. He will at least treble his salary and be at one of the richest clubs in Europe with resources to build a top level team.

I don’t see him going to a Crystal Palace or West Ham at the minute for mid table mediocrity but a club in the CL realms is a big pull there and this option might not come around again.

its 7 or 8 times his salary he will get

1 Like

So what does he do - a club offers you 7 times what you’re earning for the same effort and you have the safety net of the parachute payoff if it goes tits up?
He’d be one dumb dick to pass up that offer.
Look at the past list of managers Celtic have had and ask yourself why am I still here….

dont ever speak to me about pro sports mate

You’re slowly calming down after last night’s combustion…
Taylor should get an OBE at least for his efforts…

Bargains from the J league will impress mr levy but won’t cut it in the EPL

True, Levy has wasted savage money on dross. A club spending the money Spurs have should be doing better

Davinson Sanchez.

£42 million

The board should be called to task by supporters for the wastage that has been allowed to take place

Ndombele
Lo Celso
Richarlison
etc etc

The money in the EPL is obscene and yet they still struggle to dominate European football.

If Ange does go is there anyone in the City Group of clubs that the board might look at given how well the previous appointment worked out? If not I’d love it to be Graham Potter. He might like to rebuild his reputation but he’s probably too expensive.

We struck it lucky with Ange. It wasn’t as if he was the result of a thorough & professional process. There was an in-house interview with Dermot Desmond on the club channels last season where he more or less said they’d put all their eggs in the Eddie Howe basket & Ange was just mentioned in passing because Mark Lawwell was familiar with him from working in the City Group. He said he rang Ange up when Howe backed out & got a good feeling about him.

I’d like to think in the meantime they’re more prepared & professional for an eventuality like this. Departure of first team manager should be a permanent “red” item on the risk register & this should be discussed at monthly operational meetings with contingency plans in place.

That said, I don’t think Ange has cosied up to the media at all & doesn’t have any history while at Celtic of leaking stories. So I think the likes of The Sun & Daily Record saying he’s definitely leaving are most likely not coming from Ange. They might be aware that Spurs have prioritised him & are basing it on that. Plus they’d be delighted if he left because he’s been very successful.

Overall, I won’t cry if Ange leaves as I vowed never to fall head over heels in love with a manager after Rodgers.

Don’t be so naive. It’s merely a carcass for grifters like the Desmond and Lawwell clans to scavenge away at.

Ange will be a massive loss. He transformed this club around like no other manager has since O’Neill. In terms of the overall club management and administration, we are an absolute mess.

Desmond and Lawwell need to go. It will probably be a John Kennedy or Roy Keane type appointment which will end in disaster.

Ange has done a fantastic job alright & it gets overlooked outside the Irish & Scottish Isles due to the 2-horse nature of the league. But that was some mess he inherited - 27 points behind the huns in the league & a squad that was losing Brown as captain, had players checked out mentally & pushing for EPL moves (Ajer, Christie, Edouard) & had been relying on short term loanees who were going back to parent clubs (Elyounoussi, Jonjo fucking Kenny, Duffy etc). Appointed later than anyone wanted with European qualifiers approaching, a decimated squad & you’d almost forget about the short lived reign of yer man Dom McKay as CEO. The latter couldn’t get any deals done apparently & was totally out of his depth.

I’m not naive enough to think this is all in hand & they’ll have a top class replacement lined up, but there have been signs that Nicholson is fairly clued in. Ange reportedly had to get the Kyogo deal done himself in summer 2021 due to McKay’s ineptitude but Nicholson was appointed then & getting Hatate, Maeda & O’Riley in very efficiently in January 2022 was crucial in winning the league. We also seemed to get Ange’s targets in quite early last summer & we had Alastair Johnston lined up to replace Juranovic in December.

Things do seem to be more structured & with some forward planning too. Whether that extends to the manager role remains to be seen alright & the likes of Desmond would have the final say here.

2 Likes

I don’t know, I’d put it more down to Ange and his modest demands. He’s a perfect fit for Celtic, happy to work with a smallish budget and capable of improving a team with that. Celtic under Lawwell has generally gone for yes men managers who will take crumbs to build a team, the Rodgers experiment ended in disaster as he was ambitious and wanted the money he knew Celtic had to be invested in the first team. He publicly called out Lawwell and there were lots of issues behind the scenes.

My biggest worry is Lawwell returning to the club, what is this absolute CUNT doing back at this club. People will say it’s only a figurehead position but the guy is a complete control freak and is going to make it impossible for any sort of decent manager come here or operate effectively here.

For me we need a coach who plays expressive attacking football. In Scotland you have to go and aim to win every game. If Ange does go and I’d a choice I’d like to see us go for that geezer who was over the Bodo Glimt side who smashed us at Celtic Park last season, his team were well drilled, played good football and clearly he’s used to building with modes resources.

I’d be very worried about things going forward if Ange does leave.

The negative influence of Lawwell lurking about cannot be dismissed or underestimated in any shape or form. We still have huge issues at boardroom level.