Next Celtic Manager

Why would he though? I think he found the Leicester experience chastening. Unless there is silly money on offer or a top 6 job I can’t see it.

He was loving Leicester until they stopped spending.

He’ll be off before Christmas and he’ll be heavily linked with every vacancy.

Money and ego.

If Moyes is in the shit again come October November then I wouldn’t be shocked to see Rodgers go in there.

Seems a very strange move by all parties. You should never go back imo.

He achieved all he can at Celtic.

Was he? He lost his job this season.

Outside of money, people really overestimate the draw of the EPL.

2 Likes

I don’t see anything particularly strange about it. Rodgers is probably about the best Celtic can get.

Rodgers’s tenure with Leicester was for the most part underrated. Two fifth place finishes and the FA Cup is good going. He stayed too long.

Two more years of winning trophies with Celtic, driven by a hint of unfinished business, and maybe a decent European run will do nicely to cement a formidable enough track record and put him in the frame for another mid-table Premier League job in 2025 or 2026, maybe a West Ham, an Aston Villa or a Liverpool.

1 Like

What’s the draw to any team anywhere only money

He’d get a mid table job now surely ?

Success
Size of the club and the energy around it

You think if money is equal someone will pick Crystal Palace over Man Utd or Liverpool

There are no openings. Celtic is an opening.

I’d imagine Rodgers would have his eye on a job at good size club in the Premier League in the future. Given there are no openings now he would have to wait for an opening in the autumn at a struggler. Once you take those jobs you start to pigeonhole yourself as a firefighter which rules you out of a job at a better club.

Leicester was the perfect job for Rodgers when he got it as they were underperforming but weren’t relegation strugglers. But there’s definitely a hint of unfinished business for him at Celtic. If he can continue on where he left off there will be another half decent job offer from the Premier League at some stage.

When he left for Leicester it was said he would be getting £5m a year. Surely Celtic should be able to get close to matching that, especially if there was some bonus for him if he qualified from the CL group or reached the final 4 in the Europa?

That would equate to £100k a week or so. I don’t think we should be paying that kind of money but if Desmond is happy to pay it out of his own pocket then fair enough.

I’d have said half that is likely our budget alright.

The other factor is he’s probably still getting that 100k a week so it may cost him to take a new job. Though potentially he doesn’t lose out if he takes a job in a different league.

Villa would be extremely foolish to sack Unai Emery. Rodgers would hardly leave during the first season back. In fairness the last time he’d already won two trebles and gone invincible. The only thing left to achieve domestically at least was the 10 in a row but that would have involved staying another two years or more which is a long time in football.

https://twitter.com/fabriziiorcmano/status/1668571358811258884?s=46&t=p07OIoicsFZzAmuJzZHHNQ

Guardian, Scottish Daily Mail & parody account pretending to be that annoying Italian transfer fella that @Locke just posted: Rodgers’ return to Celtic is all but sealed.

Daily Record: Leeds’ new owners have come in with an 11th hour bid to tempt Rodgers.

Fuck the cunt

https://twitter.com/thesackrace/status/1581181903105044480?s=46&t=hLFVM4tcaAF7TEDm5mgJyQ

2 Likes

https://twitter.com/melbourne88/status/1668492584170278913?s=19

I have no real love for Rodgers as a person…his ego makes Mourinho seem effervescently humble.

I do think he’s a good manager and brought out huge personal development to a number of players in previous time at Celtic. He’s a manager whose style of play is similar to Ange and this time around he inherits a vastly superior squad to the one he did before.

I think he’ll give a few of the youth players a chance and genuinely look to develop them which is something neither Ange or Lennon were not interested in. If Rodgers was over Celtic I don’t think we’d have lost Doak, I think he’d have blown so much smoke up his arse and given him some meaningful involvement.