Next Celtic Manager

If the Leeds chat went away or he was announced as manager I’d be a lot happier. Based on what I’ve read the focus is Europe and the wealth that it brings. Could be a plan to leave the west end bigots in the rear view mirror completely. Also they really fear Rogers and if he can hold onto the core of that team for another 12 months I think the good times are coming. I fear we’ll lose Hatate and one other (please not Kyogo or Jota…)

Here we go!

If you are giving credence to a lot of the rumours circulating from those self appointed “in the know” types, it looks like Rodgers is going to be given significant resources and commitment to taking Celtic to the next level in Europe.

Could be some very exciting times ahead.

Hard to see what would be in it for Rodgers unless he’s given backing to go after Europe

Would you rather get out of the CL group and get a pasting in the last 16 or go for a deep run in the Europa League? Which would be more beneficial financially?

Rodgers is ready for the next level in Europe. He won’t be losing to chip shops anymore if he gets serious backing.

https://twitter.com/aboutceltic/status/1668720640545701889?t=r91OA-JK87wbW9OdPxPryg&s=19

1 Like

https://twitter.com/LiamB67_/status/1668687716664344578

His record in Europe is atrocious

1 Like

What’s his bidness in the transfer market like ? IIRC He seems to buy a good few duds, particularly defenders

+1. Two Round of 32 Europa League exits and a Champions League elimination was fairly paltry stuff at Liverpool. His best achievement in Europe is one of winning 3-0 away to Anderlecht with Celtic to finish 3rd in the champions league group, the time he draw 3-3 at home to Man City with the Celts or reaching a Europa Conference League semi-final with Leicester. Slim pickings.

I think it’s all relative. Go deep in whichever competition you are in has to be the first objective, obviously I think we’d have a better chance of succes in Europa or Conference but we should give our all to make CL knockout while we’re in it.

Celtic’s social media & in-house media team have a great opportunity to do something creative when announcing Rodgers. I’ve seen some people mention Danny McGrain should be involved in it in some way.

1 Like

What’s the whole thing with McGrain? I’m not au fait with what happened or said between them.

When he was first appointed and trying to ingratiate himself with the fans he told a story in an early interview about bumping into McGrain at Lennoxtown on one of his first days. McGrain was in his “ordinary clothes” & sheepishly approached Rodgers to see if he was needed in the new set up. Rodgers replied…”You’re Danny McGrain! You’re a living Celtic legend. As long as I’m here, you’re here…now go & get your training kit on!” McGrain later said it was completely made up.

Rodgers also told a story about being backed up in traffic in the Clyde Tunnel & noticed the man in the car in front looking back at him via the rear view mirror. Next thing the man stepped out of his car & he was wearing a Rangers jersey & walking back to Rodgers’ car & motioning to wind down the window. Brendan thought “Oh no, here we go.” But the man said “We may be in different camps but I just want to say you’ve been a complete breath of fresh air since coming up here!”

2 Likes

So Rodgers is full of shit you are saying?

Yep. Talks a lot of shit but a very good coach.

The awkward thing is from 2024/25 season winning the league will mean CL qualification with no parachute to the EL and ECL. So it will be Champions League or bust for Celtic for the foreseeable future after this season.

2 Likes

wtf?

I think there’s some basic PR going on here too. Celtic must be aware there’ll be some dissent to reappointing Rodgers so they’ve briefed the press that he’ll be coming back armed with a significantly enhanced transfer budget & tasked with making inroads in Europe. You can see some of the online sceptics softening stances.

If there are plans to invest heavier than before then it’ll be an interesting dynamic because, as has been pointed out, Rodgers’ strength appears to be his coaching & setting up teams. He has a very sketchy recruitment record. And he found it hard to accept Celtic’s place in the modern football world regarding player sales. He blocked Boyata’s move to Fulham for £10mn & a £17mn bid from Porto for Ntcham. Both players left for nothing a year or two afterwards. Boyata was on strike in a huff when they got eliminated from the CL qualifier in Athens that time, if my memory serves me correctly.

Even if Celtic plan to spend more on incomings, they’ll still need to sell & reinvest at the right time too. Pretty much all clubs now are selling clubs bar the elite coterie of super franchises & nation state entities. Rodgers obviously fell out big time with a Lawwell Sr the first time around but he’ll need to work closely with Lawwell Jr now. As much as we want him back, I don’t think Celtic would give him full control over recruitment. He’ll naturally have a strong say though.