Next Celtic Manager

The big thing about Rodgers first spell was that we were selling off important players and the money didn’t show signs of being adequately reinvested. Our third season saw minimal investment and a big sale in Dembele. We scuppered a move for McGinn over a few 000k.

I’m not sure who was responsible for the recruitment before. I think DeVries and Sinclair were obvious Rodgers signings but other than that I’m not sure. There were some mad signings like Gambo and Comperr who I’m not sure Rodgers wanted. Failing to replace Roberts was also a big failing by the board.

It’s the new Swiss Model thing. That means it’s one big table and no drop-down to the other competitions. So realistically the team that finished second in Scotland might be the only team who can win a European trophy, unless our coefficient falls away.

We had that Congerton guy who has an appalling track record and is hopefully tied down to a multi year contract somewhere else.

2 Likes

does this affect Rovers too?

I don’t believe so. Just for teams that get to group stages automatically

1 Like

McGinleyesque from Bren there

Forgot about him. Think Rodgers brought him to Leicester but he’s since moved to some club in another European league. A French side perhaps.

I see Rodgers’ long time #2 Chris Davies is linked with the Swansea manager job. He’s reportedly got ambitions to test himself as a manager. His future could have a knock on impact on whether Kennedy stays or follows Postecoglou* to Spurs. Rodgers added Kolo Tourè to his staff while at Celtic & took him to Leicester. I think Tourè had a failed spell at Wigan but don’t know if he rejoined Rodgers. I wonder if Rodgers will add someone Celtic-ky to his ticket. A Scott Brown or Mika Lustig type…someone who played under him in his first spell but who’s recently retired. Brown gives me a bit of a Lennon &/or Gerrard vibe, maybe unfairly. He might be as well to rack up more experience as a first team manager for now.

*I’ll no longer be using the matey “Ange”.

1 Like

Do we think Maeda and Abada will feature much under Rodgers?

Anyone reckon Coutinho might be a possible Rodgers signing? Rangers will probably sign Dele Alli!

No.

No you wouldn’t want, or no Celtic couldn’t afford? I don’t think he is on a long deal at Villa.

Both. It would be crazy money. He’s a long term deal with Villa on huge money and he’s not even that good and well past his peak. Jota is a better player than him.

1 Like

He’s with Atalanta now.

1 Like

Ah fair enough, didn’t realise the extent of the Villa deal. He musthave more money than God at this stage.

The talk is he’ll be bringing back that young analyst chap he brought with him from Celtic - Jack Lyons. Also, Glen Driscoll who was some sort of performance guru guy.

1 Like

Good to see a swift appointment anyway. I’m going with a Friday announcement, swiftly followed by the Norwegian kid.

The usually reliable Stephen McGowan in Scottish Daily Mail has Driscoll & Lyons coming with Rodgers alright. Seems he’s trying to retain Kennedy & Davies won’t be joining this time. I imagine he’d have more to add to his coaching ticket too.

BRENDAN RODGERS was last night putting the finishing touches to his new-look Celtic backroom team.

The Northern Irishman has agreed to return to Parkhead as manager, four years since he left for Leicester City.

And, barring a last-minute hitch, the Scottish champions will confirm the 50-year-old as Ange Postecoglou’s permanent replacement.

Chief executive Michael Nicholson and finance director Chris McKay flew by private jet to Mallorca for face-to-face talks with their No 1 managerial target on Saturday.

And Rodgers thrashed out the conditions of his second stint in charge during a series of conversations with major shareholder Dermot Desmond.

Postecoglou wants assistant manager John Kennedy to join him on a four-year deal at Tottenham Hotspur.

Despite expressing a wish to leave, Kennedy is bound by the terms of an agreement blocking the Australian from poaching his former staff.

And, in a conversation on Tuesday, Rodgers made it clear to the former Scotland defender that he was an important part of his plans.

Leicester City first team post-match analyst Jack Lyons will also return to Celtic together with fitness and performance coach Glen Driscoll.

Dismissed by Leicester in April, Rodgers originally intended to take a sabbatical from the game.

An agreement to return to Celtic, the club he left suddenly in February 2019, was predicated on an undertaking by directors to invest in the players and infrastructure improvements necessary to establish the club as a competitive force in Europe.

Reluctant to place all their eggs in one basket, Celtic have also spoken to the likes of Manchester City assistant Enzo Maresca, former Norwich boss Daniel Farke, Italian Francesco Farioli and Ipswich Town’s Kieran McKenna.

Talk of a £30m kitty plus whatever we receive in by way of sales.

We’ve gone 2 seasons of solid 4-3-3 but I see Rodgers being a lot more flexible in his approach with 3 at the back and 2 up top likely from time to time.

Out of the four full backs on our books I’d probably only see Bernabei as a natural wing back. AJ, Ralston and Taylor might be more at home in a back 3 so interesting to see what he may do there. I think we need statement signings in goal, at RW and in central defence.

I think Rodgers would like another striker to give us the option of 2 up front. I also feel Maeda and Abada could struggle to get in favour with BR. Maeda was a clear Ange favourite but he can be very frustrating and Ange also made Jota move from his most effective role to accommodate Maeda.

If it’s happening btw, GG would have been perfect for the Rodgers system

I would have said AJ would be fine as a wing back. Think that’s where he played a bit with Canada too.

Taylor will be interesting because he really benefited from the inverted full back role. In fairness he benefited because he adapted to it really well so hopefully he can repeat that to a new system. But he’s not really a wing back and wouldn’t be a very attacking orthodox full back. His use of the ball is much better than his dribbling or pace.