Niall Breslin - Carrying the hopes of a nation

Why is life tough?

It can be v tough for lots of kids for lots of reasons. Trying to process issues going on at home, issues around sexuality, issues around expectations etc.

And what’s different now to say 20 / 30 years ago when all that was also going on?

Mocial Sedia

2 Likes

Todays generation have grown up with a fixed mindset rather than a growth mindset like us.

Correct.

Shame/ Vulnerability / Confidence / Empathy / Unrealistic desires and expectations

I dont know if switching off is the answer - of course it helps — but these are the issues we need to be dealing with, not just with kids, but with society at large. They are all currently fucked as we are all under a massive microscope

1 Like

Whose fault is that?

Acceptance is probably the most important antidote to mental health issues but easier said that done with teenagers whose brains are not fully developed yet.

‘The body will heal depression like it heals a broken leg - if only you will let it’.
Claire Weekes

2 Likes

There is a happy medium imho. Unfortunately a lot of modern day parenting gravitates towards a fixed mindset. Kids need to learn disappintment v early in life. We had nothing growing up. I was disappointed loads, but it made me more resilient.

5 Likes

Big big story due to be broke about Bressie I’m told.

:open_mouth:

A forum holds it’s breath.

Give us a clue mate

Casey really did capture the zeitgeist

Dare I say social media and parents use of same around kids is largely predicated on success and leans away from that growth mindset. There is an obsession with being “good” at stuff now as the only rationale to do something without really understanding what that means.

1 Like

I look at the level of things kids have these days. I rarely got a birthday present when I was younger. Now parents/family members are trying to find some gap in what they have in order to get it for them for the next occasion.

‘The tablet they have is two years old, I’ll get them a new one’.

2 Likes

That’s exactly it. They are given everything, told constantly how great they are. When they have to actually work at something they give up too easily. This spills over into all aspects of life, work,sport, personal and so on.

3 Likes

Fair play to you, you’re a great teacher I’d say.

1 Like

I think also the bombardment of information they get via their smart phone is another problem.

I even find that with myself. They never switch off and chill out by looking around them.

Yes, but setting up a six week course in “mindfulness” just amplifies this behaviour and mindset.