Nicknames

Sheridan Bird commented during the Inter and Roma game that Hugo Campagnaro’s nickname at Napoli was “Hugo Boss”. :clap:

That’s a good one alright mate. What a character eh?

I grew up with
Smiley
Jucks
Welto
Manto (that was his actual name)
Chuck
Bugs
Shiner
Skin
Bricko
Stokey
Spud
Scratch
Monchie
Monty
Biff
Gubby
Gugs
Chubb
Fluff
Dando
Duck
Pussy
Johnny Posh
Oochie
They’re the ones I can think of off the top of my head.

May have posted this elsewhere, but my old boss used to have a mate called “fumble”.

He got the name after he fucked up at the end of a move in an “important” rugby schools cup match and the headline the following day was (whatever his surname is) fumble costs victory.
Called fumble ever since, he must be well into his 50’s the poor bastard.

There was a fellow in the town called Denny the Pig because he was supposed to have ridden a pig. That’s a tough handle to carry around. And a woman called Mary the Hog because she looked like a hog.

1 Like

A friend of the family informed me recently that a respectable woman I know used to be known as Tonto back in his day, because you were guaranteed a ride off her. He had another one he nicknamed Sweepstakes because everyone had a share in her.

Would Waterford city be a nickname hotbed? I worked with a girl from there and once heard her on the phone to a friend list out people who had been to a party or something. She said about thirty names, lads and girls, all nicknames.

I’d say so. We need some way to distinguish all of the Powers and the Murphys in the city.

There’s another one after coming into my head. Moremiles. Paddy Moremiles Murphy.

There were about 5 different John Powers in my year in the la salle

1 Like

A guy in our local GAA club had a hip replacement in his early 60s and was left with a funny walk after it. He always looked as if he was chafing the shit out of his nuts when we walked. He got the nickname Scaldy Balls, which ultimately got shortened to Scaldy.

I met Diddles at the match today.

I want to school with a lad from cavan called paddy paddy pat of the paddy pats (maguires)

2 Likes

Grew up with a lad called Kevin. He was always a bit of a slow learner, and was eventually confirmed (diagnosed?) as dyslexic. Once the sympathy period passed, and for the last 15 years, he’s been called Nevik.

4 Likes

There was a lad from the Duffry in secondary school with us we called Epidermis. I’ve forgotten why, I’m sure it was hilarious.

1 Like

An older lad from around my place was known as blowjob, it was eventually shortened by most to blow, but it was the full thing for years.
There was a fella who played for a soccer team in the north side of Cork city who was known to all his team mates as College, I was intrigued so I asked one of them and it seems he was out in CIT :grinning:

Former Welsh rugby player Dai Young’s nickname is “Only the good”…

2 Likes

As @Horsebox and @flattythehurdler can confirm, we had a teacher in school with the nickname “Black Paddy Sheepdog”. No clue where it came from, but even though it sounds totally random it suited him. He was a career guidance counsellor and once told a young lad that the career for him was a concert piano tuner. Great! So, if he took the advice he’s probably getting 2 or 3 jobs a year at a couple of hundred a time.

A miserable cunt if ever there was one. His son funnily enough was a good laugh.
I’d say it was the spectre of the black dog that he brought with him.into any room.
He recommended being a cab driver to one of the brightest lads I knew, and rolled out repeatedly his major success of placing a lad in a shop in town where, within a few years, he was in charge of the whole stationary dept.
He was a microcosm of ireland in the eighties.

1 Like

:joy: That’d be him alright! We used to torment him, but he brought a lot of it on himself.

I went to school with a chap whose surname was Connelly. Poor chap went prematurely gray after inter-cert. He was rechristened Ravanelli Connelly.

Another chap around town was nicknamed Big Spit, I don’t know why and never thought to ask, his son was nicknamed Little Dribble.

@ironmoth might remember “DJ Pounder”, he had a mini-me side kick who was called “1/4 Pounder”.

3 Likes