North Korea

[quote=ā€œThe Runt, post: 754558, member: 181ā€]These long distance air strikes should be banned.
If countries want to go to war then they should be made incorporate a whole scale ground offensive. Iā€™ve no problem with a bit of low flying strafing, but this shit of blowing up a facility from 300miles away is bollix and ruining war as a spectacle.[/quote]

in fairness to the Russians they have always went in honestly against the Chechens and also Georgia in 2008 in order to maximise civilian casualties, no messing from the air,

[quote=ā€œThe Runt, post: 754558, member: 181ā€]These long distance air strikes should be banned.
If countries want to go to war then they should be made incorporate a whole scale ground offensive. Iā€™ve no problem with a bit of low flying strafing, but this shit of blowing up a facility from 300miles away is bollix and ruining war as a spectacle.[/quote]

Agreed, all this satelite guided shite takes all the skill out of it.

As an aside your old mate Austin Powers is living in South Korea these days.

[quote=ā€œJulio Geordio, post: 754561, member: 332ā€]Agreed, all this satelite guided shite takes all the skill out of it.

As an aside your old mate Austin Powers is living in South Korea these days.[/quote]

Good to have a man on the ground in these situations. Whatā€™s his degenerate take on things?

the janjaweed militia in Darfur and those lads in the Central African Republic also never gave a shite about air power, they just went at it with machetes , i suppose its probably wrong to include internal conflicts in this but in fairness its amazing what can achieved when a popultaion and military is suitably motivated

It was hard enough to keep in contact with him when he was in Ireland, nevermind now. I dropped him a mail over the weekend asking him if he had his tinfoil hat on, Iā€™ll let you know his response.

When was the last proper war we had where either side had a chance of winning? The last few have been very lopsided affairs.

Indeed, it doesnt help with story lines for future medal of honour games.

[quote=ā€œJulio Geordio, post: 754571, member: 332ā€]It was hard enough to keep in contact with him when he was in Ireland, nevermind now. I dropped him a mail over the weekend asking him if he had his tinfoil hat on, Iā€™ll let you know his response.

When was the last proper war we had where either side had a chance of winning? The last few have been very lopsided affairs.[/quote]
just to clarify Julio I presume you mean that the beligerants must be international? , an internal conflict like Syria or Rwanda ( which was a decent war) does not qualify.
The war in Yugoslavia was class, all 3 sides had very little airpower ( the serb/ yugoslav army did have some aerial firepower) but they did have concentration camps !
the winner was also in doubt and even when Dayton was signed in 1995 the outcome was in the balance, i would have loved to have seen a Croat push on Belgrade but i suppose they were too busy with defense of the Krajina region and their own slaughter effort in Bosnia than to push on.

The locations and timezones are fairly shit as well. It used to be weā€™d have wars in Europe and Latin America and weā€™d share the World Cups too. Now itā€™s all about the Asian market. The war is over as a spectacle in Iraq and Afghanistan so we give Qatar a World Cup. And now that Japan and Korea are over their whole World Cup experience we send a war out their way.

A good old fashioned European war is what we need.

[quote=ā€œRocko, post: 754582, member: 1ā€]

A good old fashioned European war is what we need.[/quote]

A European war, but still at a reasonably safe distance. If we are to get any decent coverage of it, weā€™d need a super power to wade into it as well. I still remember the excitement of watching the first Gulf War as a child.

My child is doing a school project on the first Gulf War at the moment. I remember it so clearly, I sat up and watched the first 36 hours non stop on Sky News. I was in WRTC at the time, so I had fuck all else to do, we built a command centre in a flat on the Quays and had round the clock coverage, with females being sent out to get take aways and buy the papers. Happy times.

that was a good war in fairness, i think the the Littlewoods Cup ( or Rumbleows Cup as it was known in 1991) highlights were interrupted and we were at home watching live coverage of the war on HTV wales , i remember green sniper fire flying through the night sky as General Stormin Norman Schwarzkopf, Jr led the forces of the free world into battle.

I still think that the Yugoslav war was a very underrated conflict and that the lack of coverage was very unfair to those involved. i suppose the gulf war had the whole hollywood element to it with the superpowers involved from the start. No one really gave a fuck about the Balkans and foreign media didnt cover it as much as they should have as they didnt have the protection of the US or British army on the ground, who didnt get involved till the hard graft was complete and then claimed to have brokered peace.
Some of the battles in Yugoslavia were incredible, the 3 year long siege of Sarajevo was one thing but some of the fighting between the Serb, Croat and Moslem forces was epic with massive loss of civilan life and ethnic cleansing on all 3 fronts

[quote=ā€œmickee321, post: 754591, member: 367ā€]that was a good war in fairness, i think the the Littlewoods Cup ( or Rumbleows Cup as it was known in 1991) highlights were interrupted and we were at home watching live coverage of the war on HTV wales , i remember green sniper fire flying through the night sky as General Stormin Norman Schwarzkopf, Jr led the forces of the free world into battle.

I still think that the Yugoslav war was a very underrated conflict and that the lack of coverage was very unfair to those involved. i suppose the gulf war had the whole hollywood element to it with the superpowers involved from the start. No one really gave a fuck about the Balkans and foreign media didnt cover it as much as they should have as they didnt have the protection of the US or British army on the ground, who didnt get involved till the hard graft was complete and then claimed to have brokered peace.
Some of the battles in Yugoslavia were incredible, the 3 year long siege of Sarajevo was one thing but some of the fighting between the Serb, Croat and Moslem forces was epic with massive loss of civilan life and ethnic cleansing on all 3 fronts[/quote]
Sometimes you donā€™t realise what you have until itā€™s taken away from you. That was an ideal location for a war. Good timezone, not too far to travel for the media, nice climate, good mixture of identifiable urban and rural terrain.

The much mooted Israel vs Iran conflict, where the US kicks in behind Israel and the Arabā€™s unite behind the Iranians. The Israelis with the vastly superior weaponary vs the Iranians with the larger numbers would make for a decent scrap.

Loads of different sides involved aswell.

the arabs wont untite behind the Iranians as they arenā€™t arabs and also they are Shiaā€™a muslim as opposed to Sunni ( saudio arabia).

i just remembered there that the USA invaded and fucking obliterated Granada in 1983, i think the Cubans were supporting some junta that was also sposored by the USSR.

The Falklands war seemed good as well, there was some fantastic newspaper headlines , this is excellent from The Sun

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_9BZCjERB4gM/TQ6axZp7XMI/AAAAAAAABVY/Q72oetvWa08/s1600/the_sun_gotcha2-jpg.jpg

:clap::smiley:

[quote=ā€œmickee321, post: 754596, member: 367ā€]the arabs wont untite behind the Iranians as they arenā€™t arabs and also they are Shiaā€™a muslim as opposed to Sunni ( saudio arabia).

i just remembered there that the USA invaded and fucking obliterated Granada in 1983, i think the Cubans were supporting some junta that was also sposored by the USSR.

The Falklands war seemed good as well, there was some fantastic newspaper headlines , this is excellent from The Sun

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_9BZCjERB4gM/TQ6axZp7XMI/AAAAAAAABVY/Q72oetvWa08/s1600/the_sun_gotcha2-jpg.jpg[/quote]
The text in that paper is gas. ā€œThe Belgranoā€¦had been asking for trouble all day.ā€ o_O

[quote=ā€œmickee321, post: 754596, member: 367ā€]the arabs wont untite behind the Iranians as they arenā€™t arabs and also they are Shiaā€™a muslim as opposed to Sunni ( saudio arabia).

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_9BZCjERB4gM/TQ6axZp7XMI/AAAAAAAABVY/Q72oetvWa08/s1600/the_sun_gotcha2-jpg.jpg[/quote]

This was a cracker too

[quote=ā€œmickee321, post: 754591, member: 367ā€]
I still think that the Yugoslav war was a very underrated conflict [/quote]

Unless youā€™re Danish

This could be a go. North Korea announce they are ready to strike against the USA.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/world/north-korea-approves-nuclear-strike-on-us/article10735512/