Nothing says Cork like

Apparently it originated in Chester of all places.

https://www.google.ie/amp/s/www.cheshire-live.co.uk/news/history/you-know-chester-very-cake-13864167.amp

2 Likes

And one about bread rolls in Waterford.

Ah yes ā€¦ Iā€™ve had it , albeit many years ago, but never knew it by that name.

What did they call it in Limerick?

A Glen v Rockies county final

Cork cake

But why have you a broken tile on top of it?

No idea

It looks dreadful whatever your call it.

The chester cake is obviously not a Cork thing, itā€™s known as donkeys gudge there though which is probably unique to Cork,
I used to love a bit of Russian log cake, is that still a thing below in Cork @Corksfinedtboy, @Locke and any other sweet toothed Cork posters, also made of leftover cakes traditionally.

1 Like

Are you saying that the Carkies have adopted yet another vestige of British Culture and claimed it as their own? Never.

Cork is a lovely little British city

1 Like

Some seethe off of this fellaā€¦

1 Like

Shite in a bucket

1 Like

A Chester Cake is made in bakeries with the scraps of other cakes and would be a Norrie thing. Thatā€™s my understanding of it anyway.

1 Like

I was at the Garryvoe for a wedding two years ago. It was a fantastic hotel in a beautiful location. The food was lovely and the wedding was very special. As an added bonus my friends went out shopping and met the famous Angela Lansbury in a fish restaurant. I shit you not.

The only sour note during the whole weekend was when we stopped in Castlemartyr for a few pints, with half a mind to continue our weekend indefinitely. We made the mistake of asking the local bar lady for directions to a particular beach that we had heard of (I canā€™t remember which one). The lady sticks her nose about a foot into the air, as if she was directing her nostrils at us and started scoffing. ā€œJesus ye know nothin! You need to go to [some other fucking beach], the water there will be a lot warmer boy!ā€ We didnā€™t allow this unpleasant incident to spoil our holiday.

I would definitely return to the Garryvoe but I will never make the mistake of ever conversing with the locals ever again.

2 Likes

Was that Cliffordā€™s? Most of the locals dont even go in there

Sounds like the lady was trying to be helpful and send ye to a nicer beach

Do you not have google maps on your phone?

It was the Hunted Hog. She was in a bad mood because it was the weekend that Limerick beat Cork in the semi after extra time. I watched that in the Hunted Hog surrounded by distressed Carkies, it was class, no social distancing. She was trying to be helpful but sadly couldnā€™t help herself.

1 Like

She lives down Cloyne way now I believe. @Locke knows

1 Like

No-one outside the village would go into Cliffords