November International Series

I said this game would be won and lost at the breakdown, and I was proved correct.

[quote=ā€œFagan O, post: 528582ā€]

I was forced to make the same choice myself at a critical juncture in my development as a sportsman

WTF???

Proof positive that you know nothing about rugby. Retarded statement.

BOD failed to run for 1 single metre last Sat with ball in hand, Iā€™d say its been a while since that happened.

In fairness it was touch and go whether he was fit to start or not.He has been carrying a hamstring injury for past few weeks and is bound to be rusty.I wouldnā€™t be calling for his head off the back of one sub par performance.

In fairness i donā€™t think he was. Another one though and he is droppable then.

He may not have gained a metre but had a lovely pass in the first half (after an awful first pass) and played outside Dā€™Arcy who took far far too much out of the ball. Iā€™m not suggesting Oā€™Driscoll is the answer forever but weā€™re not overly blessed with centres at the moment and Dā€™Arcy is in much worse form.

Iā€™d love to see a 9-10-12 of Stringer-Sexton-Wallace with Oā€™Driscoll outside. Weā€™re still most dangerous as a backline off set piece moves and that sort of team with two playmakers and Oā€™Driscoll gives us three great passing options who can all run and then youā€™ve three strike runners in Bowe, Fitzgerald and Kearney. Stringerā€™s lack of a break wouldnā€™t hurt as much with that sort of team outside him.

Come off it Rocko. Fitzgerald has a future at centre Iā€™m sure youā€™ll agree and Earls has already made a Lions tour. What more do you want?

The last time our backs functioned as a cohesive unit was against Australia. The last time before that was against New Zealand Maori. Against New Zealand and against South Africa we were very poor in backs. No coincidence that Wallace was 12 in first two games I mentioned while Darcy was 12 in other two. Not only does Wallace contribute in his own right but Sexton plays far better when he is in the team and outside backs (where we are very strong) get more of the ball. Nonsense being spouted before the game that we had to pick Darcy for his physicallity as Boks would be strong in that department while completely ignoring the fact that only way we would expose their shortcomings in the backs was by playing someone who has proven track record of getting our backs going.

Hard to argue with that. Iā€™d suggest Wallace and earls for Samoa injury permitting. Maybe BOā€™D needs a break for a few days and get the head ready for Blacks then. There is alot of attacking potential in the 2 of them.

Iā€™d try Fitzgerald at 15. As mbb said, how many kicks up the hole does that langer Kearney need.

Another thing that is kinda annoying me. Why donā€™t Ireland pick out and out scrummagers like Tom Court and Ross against top class front rows like the Boks. Heā€™ll get a game likely this weekend but its probably not one where heā€™ll be as needed. There still seems to be an ignorance to the scrum, and the potential it offers if you are disruptive.

Healy really needs a talking to from the older players, the panicky shite he was at the other day is unforgivable.

To my memory, weā€™re the only ones, with perhaps the exception occassionally of Rock who have been banging the Paddy Wallace drum for a long time Lar. The handling of Wallace has been shameful to be honest over his career both provincial and at International level, although at least Kidney has given him some decent stints at 12. Wallace at 12 for me.

:o

Larry was a one man show in fairness for a long time.

But anyway, point scoring aside, he needs a run. Dā€™Arcy is very stale for me, with quite a while.

Agreed on the scrum thing. We have scored some really top tries from lineouts in recent years. Some of our backline moves are excellent and the handling at pace is superb. And yet the scrum would offer us the same opportunities if we could count on even a probability of hassle-free ball arriving at the out half. Unfortunately Heaslip is compelled to pick nearly everything and run narrow because the scrum is retreating and crabbing. The extra 5 metre gap should allow us to be picking teams apart at scrum time.

I know Fitzgerald wants to be a full back but Iā€™m not convinced by him there. Not in what Iā€™ve seen so far. Iā€™d still give him a run though just to piss off Kearney and stick Trimble on the wing.

Christ, not much experimentation in that Irish side, proof positive that Kidney needs the win in light of the other 2 games on the way.

luke
bowe
bod
paddy
trimble
rog
stringer
heaslip
sob
leamy
toner
doc
bull
cronin
court

subs to be named later in week.

I can understand the desire to play Stringer and ROG together but theyā€™re both experienced enough now that they neednā€™t be inseparable.

Good to see Paddy getting gametime at 12 but whatā€™s the point in picking him outside that half back pairing. We now have no bulk in defence from 9 to 12. We have three decent passers but no real running threat other than Wallace and thatā€™s not his strength and certainly wonā€™t be his strength with no threat inside him.

Wallace and Sexton is a combination that has potential. So does Stringer and Sexton. And thereā€™s nothing inherently wrong with Stringer and Oā€™Gara getting picked after last weekā€™s performance but putting Wallace outside them is doing him (or BOD) no favours at all.

Surprised to see BOD getting the gametime actually.

Hard not to start rog and stringer but it might have been no harm to see stringer rog wallace alright. Cant believe bod is playing, and dont see the point in bull either. I just get the feeling the IRFU need a win after the fiasco last weekend and are going out to get it.

Btw, Scotland tix for AB game? From 24-52 EURO.

Is there any chance Samoa might win at the weekend ?

I may not have had the foresight to have dropped Brian Oā€™Driscoll for our Grand Slam winning campaign but God help me Iā€™m trying.

Thats not what i said or suggested, but believe that anyway. I felt he needed a kick up the hole and was under performing. You just have never seen Murphy play in the last 6-7 years if you think he is lacking braveness.