November Rugby Internationals (aka Kev - "Should BOD be dropped?")

It’s often said, but there has to be a lot of truth to the Irish begrudgery thing, Twitter awash with trolls after the match as well

Is there another country in the world where a large minority actively support the opposition in an international sport, no matter who they’re playing?

I hate the game TBH, I admire the fitness levels of the players but I think it’s a shit sport, I could only watch a few minutes at a time yesterday but that was a great result no matter the circumstances

4 Likes

I honestly find it bizarre you could only watch “a few minutes at a time” yesterday.
It was an utterly compelling spectacle from start to finish.

1 Like

I just don’t enjoy the game, it doesn’t interest me, I was only watching bits because it was an important sporting event that I figured people would be talking about
But I was delighted that they won, because that’s my country

3 Likes

Way off

3 Likes

Yeah. It happens the odd time Julio when one team plays v well the other team looks poor.

1 Like

He is top class. I don’t know what you were watching

1 Like

Stupid cunt… But isn’t it a banning offence here to quote boards.ie to support your argument?

1 Like

Sure that defence isn’t part of it at all :roll_eyes::roll_eyes::roll_eyes::roll_eyes:

He’s also a fairly prolific try scorer for a centre.

Good win but a lap of honour and calls from the American president is a bit much no? With two years to go before a World Cup is it not the equivalent of beating the all Ireland champions in a league game and hoping you’ll do the same to them in the championship, a totally different competition?:thinking:

5 Likes

I think you’ve answered @backinatracksuit there. It was a lively game and a good result given Ireland’s record against them but some context please.

1 Like

The dvd should be out for Christmas

1 Like

My father would be a fairly big TV follower of rugby for 50 years and he finds it harder to watch nowadays. Yesterday he remarked how it takes an hour to get through 40 minutes of play, thanks to referee reviews of every incident and that this is ruining the game

The referee was a right self important Cunt yesterday

The soccer crowd are seething. They really should be focusing on getting ready for their big international test match against Luxembourg.

4 Likes

Your old man seems like a shrewd type. That’s also one of my bugbears.

V odd. The soccer and the gaa crowd go mad if they aren’t on the front of the Sunday Indo every week of the year

Watch and you see. Every time another sport gets featured there is uproar

In fairness to the referee, I thought he did quite well overall, given both sides were bitching and moaning at him incessantly.
I watched some of it listening to the kiwi commentary, and they remarked upon how every decision “up there” (the north) gets referred, and how basically “up there”, the TMO is a second referee. They went on to say that the ref didn’t seem to have much option as both sides were constantly bitching for everything to be referred.
That was one aspect of the match where the ref lost control, but it was a sign that both sides really really wanted to win.
TBH, it was a great victory, but these days, SA are the yardstick. The WC is a long way off, but the six Nations should be excellent. There are 5 competitive teams.

6 Likes

God I love roaring against the “Irish” rugby team. Especially when they lose the run of themselves before the inevitable, constant let-down in the big one. It’s great

New Zealand are still the yardstick. South Africa are a very ordinary side regardless of their status as World Cup winners.

Nah, that doesn’t answer, only confirms what I thought,
You can deny all you want but a lot of people are genuinely disappointed/annoyed that Ireland won,

The old ‘friendly’ argument doesn’t stand up, you’re around long enough to know that a test match is not the same as a friendly match, it’s a sporting cultural thing, at the very root of international rugby

My question really is, is there any other country in the world where a large minority support the opposition, no matter who they are, in another sport?